Wednesday, August 27, 2008

33 Weeks of Calm Seas

Today's 33-week check-up was a total flood of good, happy stuff. It started off with my nurse telling me, "Woman-Doc and I were looking over this afternoon's patient list, and we were so happy to see your name. We always look forward to you coming in." Honestly, how can something that sweet not make your entire day?

All my stats are good, and Snippet's heartbeat was a solid 146 beats per minute. It's so comforting now the way that pounding beat fairly leaps up into the doppler. Gone are those awful days of probing and searching for the sound. Now, as soon as the microphone hits my belly, that reassuring beat surfaces and I smile like a total idiot every time.

My total weight gain is now 39 pounds. I cringed with the realization that the upcoming weeks will likely land my weight over the 200 pound mark---a place I have never been before. My closeness to it a year ago was the motivation for my 40-pound weight loss, so you can imagine how that nearing number is completely fucking with my head and my self-esteem. But, I realize there is little that I am doing that I would actually change, or probably should change. I just have to sail this thing out, and then brainstorm plans for losing it after Snippet shows up.

I discussed with my doctor my total lack of braxton-hicks contractions, and asked her if it was normal to be this far along and not yet experiencing them. She said there is no need for me to worry about a correlation between the absence of the BH contractions and the likelihood of unsuccessful vaginal delivery. The two aren't related at all, thank goodness. She gave me a great, detailed description of what they will feel like, and that made me certain that I haven't experienced any. But, now I also know for sure what to watch for.

Snippet is head-down, which is great, but Woman-Doc cautioned that it's too early to assume he'll stay that way. He still has plenty of room in there to host his own olympics, which he is ferociously engaged in at this very moment. As I type, I see my belly bubbling in all directions, like it does on days when he gets particularly worked up. Too bad his only audience is the doggies, who will only occasionally give my belly a lick and then be on their way. They don't seem to know that their lives will soon change, except perhaps for Red-Dog. She has been a little more clingy with me over the past few weeks, but I can't say for certain if this means anything. She's normally the independent one, but she seems to want to always be at my side. Maybe she smells something different, or senses something? Or, maybe she's just tired of the other two dogs hogging all my attention...

My appointment ended with more words of flattery in which my doc said, "We'll see you in two weeks, and then we'll be doing the every-week appointments. I just can't believe how quickly your pregnancy has moved along. You make this look all too easy!" And, it's true---I have so much to be grateful for. The minor aches, the annoying discomforts---they all add up to so little ultimately. I am so thankful for this baby, and for the lack of worrisome days during this pregnancy. I honestly couldn't have asked for a more positive experience, and fervently hope my birth story will be as equally untroubled.

PS---I'll definitely post more shower pics soon. My friend, and ex-boss, who hosted the shower isn't really a woman of the digital era, so she's actually getting hard-copy prints developed. Once she mails them to me, I'll do some scanning and uploading so you can see how wonderful it all really was.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you aren't worrying too much about your weight, because you look fabulous...I'm sure the breastfeeding will take it all right off. Yay for a good dr. appt.!

8:57 PM  
Blogger Meghan said...

So glad you had a good appointment! I too am about to cross that marker. Last week at 199 and the nurse and I both laughed that there was no way I'd go the next 3 weeks only gaining 1 pound ;) But like you, I decided that it was well worth it and there wasn't a thing I would do differently

8:58 PM  
Blogger Brandy said...

Sounds like things are going great!! Don't worry about the weight. You will be able to enjoy that sweet little baby and walk it off with him, a great excuse to be out and about and get moving. :-)

Oh and definitely don't worry about the braxton hicks. I have read a lot that they aren't nearly as common in first pregnancies, not only that but sometimes they will kick in much later - like 36-38 weeks. With Aiden I started having braxton hicks around 37 weeks and there were times they would go on for 3-5 hours. They were just plain frustrating because even though I knew they were preparing my body for labor they never seemed to actually change a thing. Every week I went back and I was still 1 cm so I was cursing those stupid BH contractions. he he.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Roni said...

How amazing that you have such great care, and such lovely docs who truly are happy for you and make you feel warm and safe.

And how wonderful that your pregnancy continues to be an easy one- this gives great hope for the same throughout your delivery!

And the weight thing - I totally understand, but let me tell you that based upon your great shape going in, you're going to drop that off. And you'll be motivated to help it off. Trust me - you will be so tired in the first months, lucky if you remember to eat something before 2 in the afternoon :) And every moment is precious!!

Animals do know. They can smell the change in you. Some react more than others. I had to find new homes for two of my beautiful parrots (I had three) becuase two got violently aggressive when I got pregnant, and didn't change back after Eddie was born. It was devestating. My cat, who was always very removed, started jumping up on the couch and sleeping on my belly. He hated kids. Now he wants to be around Eddie all the time, and follows him around - and even lets him pull ears, tail, etc, with no biting. It's very strange. So I'm sure your dogs know and will react, but positively. The clinginess is also normal, so I've heard.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

Glad you had a good appointment. I've got my fingers crossed for you that the next ~7 weeks are as easy!

Please don't stress about the weight gain. You are doing great and will lose the majority of it right away, trust me. I wish I could tell you that I figured out how to achieve some peace when I hit the 200 lb mark (also after losing 30 lbs 2 years earlier), but I didn't. Luckily it was the week before I delivered, so I didn't have much time to dwell on it. Plus, I felt like total shit anyway.

Once Snippet gets here, you'll be proud of your body for growing this amazing human being that you'll forget about any weight issues (at least for a little while).

I had 50 bazillion BH contractions and still ended up with a c-section so don't worry that their absence is some indication of the possiblity of a vaginal birth. Try to be giddy and thankful that you don't have to endure them!! :-)

10:14 AM  
Blogger Miss X said...

That is so great Dee! I am so happy for you. You deserve every moment of joy.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Life after 200 lbs isn't so bad... especially since yours will be all baby.

Consider this: most of the time you go home from the hospital a good 20+ lbs lighter than when you went in... even more if you've had edema!

5:24 PM  
Blogger tobacco brunette said...

I'm so glad that everything is going well. Your OB sounds like the sweetest woman.

I'm sure the number is a little scary, but aren't you super tall? And, for what it's worse, I've always thought you looked very slim in your belly pix.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

A big happy cheer for the great appointment. All is going well :)

10:24 PM  
Blogger moo said...

Deanna, I went over 200 and it all fell off within a month. I grapple with my infertility weight gain still but my pg weight dropped off without any effort at all. I was at my start weight withina few weeks. Love and hugs The Moos

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home