Thursday, July 10, 2008

Doc Visit Yields Updates

Thank you to everyone who sent kind words to my friend, Karen. I know your thoughtfulness meant so much to her (and to me.) Thanks again. =)

My 26-week checkup at the O.B. today went mostly normally, except for one glitch. Earlier this week, as I was sitting up in bed I noticed my stomach changed shape and became almost pointy. I was amazed, thinking Snippet couldn't possibly be that big already, but I didn't know what else it could be. Over the next few days, the weird bulge was still there, in the exact same spot, so I less and less believed it was the baby. When I showed it to my doc this morning, he broke the crummy news that I have an umbilical hernia. Boooo. He said it happens with some women that there is a gap in the muscle wall near the belly-button, and it spreads wider as the stomach grows. When I asked him what the bulge was he said casually, "Oh, it could be anything---an intestine, some other internal organ." He was very casual about this news, but I'm feeling pretty freaked out. An intenstine? It's definitely something big poking out, so I guess he's probably right. Thankfully, it doesn't really hurt---achey more than anything. He said after Snippet is born, I need to do some major ab toning to try to pull the muscles tighter and close the gap.

I also asked him about the swelling in my legs and ankles, and he wasn't much phased by that, either. He said if I ever have sudden swelling above the waist, then I need to call him right away, but it's not uncommon for some women to start having leg and ankle swelling early on. Unfortunately, he predicted I should brace myself for it to just get worse as things progress. By the time I'm term, I could probably sew a sail to my ass and just float on down the Chesapeake Bay.

They have me scheduled to go in tomorrow for bloodwork for my 1-hour glucose screening test. I'm already meditating hardcore on passing the test, since sugar deprivation is pretty much the ultimate torture for me. Sugar has always been my comfort, my ally. Whenever I'm sick, and can't touch real food, I can still dig into some cookies or ice cream. And, Snippet has been getting his fair share of that (and more!) with this pregancy, as I've lapsed on my hardcore dieting restrictions. The sundaes, brownies and cheesecake have been flowing in abundance, to say the least.

Which probably helps to explain my now 28-pound weight gain. Again, though, the nurse and O.B. seemed totally fine with it, and showed no concern with the gain. The O.B. was happy to hear that I'm still working out a few times a week, and didn't even pause over my latest report from the scale of doom. I still seem to be the only one nervous about it (although not nervous enough to cut out the ice cream!) I have greatly decreased the between-meal snacking down to almost nothing, and I figure that has to help. Otherwise, I still look basically like myself, only with a big tummy, so unless I start bulking up all over, I'll probably try to keep my cool about it, too. And, this weekend, my trainer is moving me into the pool for my workout, so I'll get to publicly display myself in my pregnancy swimsuit. I got the cutest one I could find, but the whole package is still pretty horrific.

Lastly, my doc signed off on my appointment for a 4D ultrasound next Saturday while we're visiting my family in Indiana. My parents have felt pretty left out of the whole pregnancy, so we scheduled the ultrasound so they could be there live and see all the coolness. We're keeping the appointment a surprise, though, so my mom's going to completely flip out. It'll be great!

11 Comments:

Blogger Roni said...

So glad all looks well, although the hernia totally sucks. I'm sorry to hear you have it. One of the indignities of pregnancy and childbirth, and as you know there are many.

I know what you mean about the sugar. Having had GD myself, it was total torture to cut it out. But one does what one has to do. Hopefully this will be a non issue for you.

The 4D sounds fabulous - I never had the chance to have one of those, although our 3D was pretty cool. Your family will flip!!

1:18 PM  
Blogger BigP's Heather said...

That is a GREAT surprise!! She will totally love it!

Reading about your belly makes my belly hurt...I'm glad it isn't too painful.

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to study 'Lose Your Mummy Tummy' by Julie Tupler to put those abs back properly!! Glad to hear you are doing well :-)

4:03 PM  
Blogger tobacco brunette said...

Ouch. The hernia thing sounds painful, but I'm glad to hear the doc isn't concerned. I'm feeling your pain on the swelling.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you test tomorrw. I've got mine in three weeks - not sure what I'll do if I have to do without booze AND sugar.

ICK.

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are going to look so cute in your swimsuit!! I'll be sending good vibes that you don't have GD, because I KNOW how much you love dessert! :) I'm sorry to hear about the umbilical hernia, I hope it doesn't get more painful. I can't believe you're 26 weeks, that is so exciting. Enjoy the 4D, they are so great. Thanks again for being a great friend to me.

11:06 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I know I was totally shocked when I passed my glucola test. I thought for sure that would be the best way the baby could torture me. Turns out, he likes to torture me by WAITING. ;)

The umbilical hernia just sounds painful - so I'm glad it isn't. Jeremy has one that pops out every now and again, and it hurts him. Sometimes you have to have surgery to sew the muscle up, but fortunately, it's a very quick and easy procedure. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Enjoy your 4D. Make sure you have a talk to Snippet beforehand so he behaves and puts on a great show for your mom :)

9:29 AM  
Blogger BigP's Heather said...

Good luck on the one hour test. Someone told me that they don't tell us to fast because they want this test to be a monitor of you on a normal day. If you eat cereal every day, they want to see how your body is reacting to it. Then if you don't pass they will do the three hour to really see how your body is functioning.

I hope all is well and you don't have to do the three hour test!!

11:16 AM  
Blogger Miss X said...

Ouch on the hernia!
And good luck with the GD test! I would be sweating it too - I am a sugar addict! I must have something sweet everyday.

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhh, your poor tummy.

But so glad everything else is fine.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Just Me. said...

Hi, I'm new to your blog. First all, I'd like to say congrats on getting pg! hope you're feeling better today. *hugs*

5:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got the hernia too, 3 years later, I still have it. FUN FUN FUN!!!

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm ready for another belly pic!!

Sharon

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home