Groupie Gag Rule
This morning I decided to break my 3-month hiatus from morning workouts and was able to drag my butt to the YMCA at 5:30am. When the nasty first trimester nausea kicked in, I switched my workouts to the evenings, and drastically decreased the frequency of my gym visits, often skipping several weeks between visits. But, the early morning sweat-fest used to be my normal routine pre-Snippet, seing the same few half-awake faces at the gym, all of us silenty acknowledging with a little nod or wave how completely ridiculous our little club seemed to the rest of the sleeping world. "Silent" is the key word there, as no one ever speaks in our club. We're all exhausted, just going through the motions, listening to headphones or staring at a blank wall. There's not even any music piped over the speakers, so the only sound is the whir of the treadmill motors and the occasional grunt from some guy who tried to lift too much weight.
Until today, that is. My morning funk has finally worn off, and though I feel achey in all sorts of peculiar places, my guilt got the best of me so I committed last night to going to the gym this morning. I was a little self-conscious walking in because, even in the extra-big tee shirt I chose, my Snippet-bump was pretty obvious. I felt sheepish, even, like I was wearing a big sign that said, "Yeah, I've been gone, and I've been DOING IT."
I hiked out a very clumsy mile on the treadmill, and made my way over to the mats to grunt through some ab-work, when suddenly one of the other regular morning groupies approached me. And, with a smile, he SPOKE: "Hey....I noticed you've gained some weight there" and he rubbed his own stomach. I blushed, "Yeah, the mornings were kind of rough for awhile, but I'm feeling better now." I'm surprised none of the electrical equipment shorted out, from the colossal breaking of the groupie gag rule, or my pure boundless zeal that an aquaintance who knows nothing of my story was able to deduce "pregnant" instead of "freakishly fat in the abdominal area."
Here's a peak at the bump I'm sporting now at 24 weeks:

And, while we're celebrating bumps, here's a big CONGRATS to my friend, Kim, who is officially 37 weeks pregnant today! Woooohoooo for full-term, and she's even 1cm dilated!
Until today, that is. My morning funk has finally worn off, and though I feel achey in all sorts of peculiar places, my guilt got the best of me so I committed last night to going to the gym this morning. I was a little self-conscious walking in because, even in the extra-big tee shirt I chose, my Snippet-bump was pretty obvious. I felt sheepish, even, like I was wearing a big sign that said, "Yeah, I've been gone, and I've been DOING IT."
I hiked out a very clumsy mile on the treadmill, and made my way over to the mats to grunt through some ab-work, when suddenly one of the other regular morning groupies approached me. And, with a smile, he SPOKE: "Hey....I noticed you've gained some weight there" and he rubbed his own stomach. I blushed, "Yeah, the mornings were kind of rough for awhile, but I'm feeling better now." I'm surprised none of the electrical equipment shorted out, from the colossal breaking of the groupie gag rule, or my pure boundless zeal that an aquaintance who knows nothing of my story was able to deduce "pregnant" instead of "freakishly fat in the abdominal area."
Here's a peak at the bump I'm sporting now at 24 weeks:

And, while we're celebrating bumps, here's a big CONGRATS to my friend, Kim, who is officially 37 weeks pregnant today! Woooohoooo for full-term, and she's even 1cm dilated!

14 Comments:
Really? 5:30 am??
I can't speak then, either.
I like your idea for a confessional t-shirt.
That's a seriously hot shot D!
You look great!!
So impressed and a little bit jealous that you're going to the gym! But you look amazing! Hope to see you this weekend
You are all belly and looking GORGEOUS!
You look absolutely awesome!!! And 5:30? Geez, D you shame us all, and pregnant to boot! I would never see anything other than the inside of my eyelids at that time unless Eddie was awake at that time, which, thankfully, he isn't much at this age.
You should be very proud of yourself. Very cool indeed that you are motivated.
I'm also impressed you spoke back to that dude - I would have probably just grunted.
I can barely drag my ass out of bed to get ready for work at 5:30, let alone do something physically demanding. You look GREAT! If you can keep your exercise routine going, you'll be rewarded with excellent pushing efforts in the end! The tall, skinny, fit ones always do so well *sneer* ;)
And...thanks!! Now watch, I'll have to wait another 4 weeks ;)
You look awesome!!!
Your bump is so cute! You look great. If I could ever get my butt to a gym at 5:30 AM I'd probably be on the stairmaster with my eyes closed, too, so I completely understand the gag rule thing. So great that your cohort was friendly even after not seeing you for 3 months and never speaking to you before...bumps are amazing ice breakers. :)
What a gorgeous belly! You look wonderful!!!
Awww you look so cute!!!! Congrats on getting up that early... I have to but that is becase of that 5 month old selfish little being that occupies a room at the other end of the house.... she seems to think that we all need to get up with the sun!! LOL JK, but hey soon enough you will be up that early feeding Snippit, and LOVING that!!! Way to go on 24 weeks!!!
Hugs,
Rebel
You have the cutest bump ever!
You look great! And belated congratulations on the baby's healthy heart.
You exercise at dawn? Really? I'm speechless. I can't even think in sentences until about 9:30, let alone exercise.
Your bump is adorable, and very very VERY definitely a baby-bump. There's not enough fat on the rest of you for it to look remotely like a fat tummy at any stage.
You look seriously great!
Miss X
Post a Comment
<< Home