Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I Make the Rules Here

Just for the record, I am choosing not to panic. And, honestly, I'm not panicking. It's one of those rare moments where I truly feel I have harnessed my emotions and reeled in the hysterical horses that might otherwise race off to the gates with any number of Univ. of Google horrific suggestions.

The potential carrot to my horses is that the radiologist who read Snippet's 18-week ultrasound pics is concerned that something strange is going on with his heart. My OB explained that it's the sort of thing that no one can be sure about just by looking at the picture taken from that visit. My OB spoke with the ultrasound technician about it, and she says she saw nothing of concern during the scan. My OB feels that the problem is "very likely just a bad camera angle." So, I'm scheduled for another scan on Wednesday morning of next week, to get lots of heart pictures to rule out any problems.

I am choosing to believe that all is well. Panicking and fearfulness would, afterall, accomplish absolutely nothing of any benefit, except to make me worried and miserable for the next few weeks while we wait for the scan and the results. If something is wrong, we'll tackle it, but I just can't see any benefit to flipping out prematurely. I make the rules here, afterall, in Snippet's and my little world, and I say panicking is not allowed. Scarfing up some "Ben & Jerry's Vermonty Python," however, that is very much allowed.

Stats, in case you're interested:
Total weight gain at 22 weeks is 21 pounds. Doctors are still totally fine with the rate of gain, so who am I to argue? Plus, I still feel like I look like myself, only with bigger boobs and a bump, so that gives me some reassurance that this extra weight may actually shed itself after the birth.

Snippet's heart rate was 135, almost exactly where it's been for the entire pregnancy.

The doctor measured the height of my uterus for the first time, and I didn't catch the number, but he said, "Looks good." I can feel the top of it lingering just above my belly button, so it's definitely getting taller. And, I have a certifiable bump going on. I can't believe how much further it's popped out just since the 20-week belly picture I posted! It's increased visibility means that belly-rubbing from friends is now in full swing. I keep trying not to flinch when people do it, but I still find it a little strange to be touching someone else's stomach. However, they do it with such genuine affection and well-wishing that I can't bring myself to back away. Once the awkward moment has passed, I realize how lucky I am to have so many people rooting for us. And, that feels pretty good.

18 Comments:

Blogger Fat Girl said...

Way to take control over your emotions! It can be very difficult when you are combatting worry, however I think your attitude is the right approach! The ultra sound tech saw the baby's heart at a lot more angles and took all the measurements. I'm sure if they had seen something irregular they would have said something. I'm sure everything is fine!

1:23 PM  
Blogger Shelby said...

I think your attitude is amazing, really! I don't know if I could keep so calm. With that being said though, you are right. No sense in worrying about it for the next few weeks. And the u/s tech saw the heart in way more detail than the radiologist, so they would have said something if there was a problem. It's also a really great sign that your OB isn't concerned. Good luck!!

1:30 PM  
Blogger tobacco brunette said...

You are my hero. So calm, cool, and collected. I think you're right not to go crazy about this. I've read and heard about this stuff happening a lot and it seems like it is most often an issue with the camera angle. I also find your OB's lack of concern reassuring.

Enjoy the ice cream, though. So deserved.

1:42 PM  
Blogger BigP's Heather said...

It is so hard not to stress...but I think you are right in not stressing.

If the tech didn't think something was wrong, I would hang my hat on that. They do those things all day long and know what to look for.

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you're not religious, but I'll be praying for you and Snippet that everything comes back perfect from the second scan. Sounds like you have a great attitude about it, very zen. Hugs.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Wordgirl said...

Deanna,

You have such a wonderful attitude here -- my thoughts are with you --

Ben and Jerry's cures all.

Love,

Pam

4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Echoing the great attitude comments. You are so right not to freak out.
Wishing little Snippet well.


Miss X

6:33 PM  
Blogger In and Out of Luck said...

Good idea NOT to Google. I didn't, when the radiologist found strange things going on with our baby's heart, and I think it saved me. Sending good thoughts.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Lori Lavender Luz said...

You are a very wise mama.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Roni said...

D, I was there. I had an u/s, somewhere around 24 weeks (I think - I'd have to go back and check my blog) where the OB said to me that he thought that one Eddie's ventricles looked enlarged. He said it was probably nothing, and preferred to be conservative, and sent me for a fetal echo. It was a terrible week of waiting, but I did the same thing you did. Said that it was probably nothing, and just to hang on and not freak out because it wouldn't do anyone any good, and wouldn't make the time pass any quicker. I basically did a lot of deep breathing and tried the mantra "it will be ok, it will be ok" Fetal echo ensued, and his heart was fine. And it was the same deal that wanttobe mentioned- the u/s tech saw absolutely nothing wrong, and then one of the pics concerned my OB. He was a "better safe than sorry" guy, and it sounds like the radiologist is doing the same thing.

I feel for you. And absolutely do NOT google.

I'm with you on the whole rubbing belly thing. I never really got that, and was also always taken aback.

11:22 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I know first hand how easy it is to let your mind wander out of control when people start telling you they see something with the ultrasound. Stay strong and confident. I can't tell you how many times one person sees one thing while another sees another, etc. There is nothing that can be done until you find out more information, anyway - and worrying only sends stress hormones to your baby. Lots of love!

4:55 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

You have such a wonderful attitude and outlook. I really admire you. I will be praying for you and that little boy of yours. XOXO

7:05 PM  
Blogger Lea Bee said...

my weight gain and recent tummy growth is similar. i bet snippet's heart is fine.

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm scarfing up 'Bohemian Raspberry' myself.

Thinking of you very hard indeed.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Milenka said...

Many crossed fingers and positive vibes for good news on Wednesday. *hugs*

7:40 PM  
Blogger Pamela T. said...

Also thinking about you! Stay strong...

8:33 PM  
Blogger Cibele said...

Good for you.Stay positive! Hope all goes well on the next U/s

11:20 AM  
Blogger lltanderson said...

good for you taking control of the fear that seems so pervasive in the IF world!

wishing you, DH, and snippet the very best!

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home