Wednesday, July 02, 2008

On the Buoyant Seas

Yesterday I scared the bejesus out of my trainer by showing up at the gym with my gigantically swollen ankles literally oozing out over my sneakers. I sat down and held my legs out so she could see how completely massive my entire legs have become with the crazy water retention I've been experiencing for the past few weeks. I can push around on my calves and feel the puffiness in them, and the big muscle aches strangely, as though I've been burning up hours in some kick-butt aerobics step class. The worst of the puff is visible in my ankles which are hugely fat and swollen. I've taken to wearing sandles nearly every day to work (one reason to be thankful for a hot summer pregnancy!) because the horror of squeezing into regular shoes doesn't do much for my self-esteem. I know, rationally, that my gigantic feet and calves are just swollen, but damn, they look hideous. At least in sandles, the water has room to spread way out and my feet are tucked safely from view under my desk. I had also planned to wear cute summer dresses to my baby showers this summer, but I'm thinking my guests might not be able to stand the horror either.

Anyhow, so when I showed up at the gym last night, my trainer took one look at my legs and panicked that I might be leaping into preeclampsia. She whisked me off to take my blood pressure and heart rate, which were supremely normal. My blood pressure was 108 over some other number I can't remember, but overall on the low side as usual. My heart rate was 70, again nice and low and normal. My trainer was visibly relieved that she wasn't going to have to speed me to the emergency room, but this left her stumped wondering why I'm already experiencing this kind of water retention when I'm still a few weeks away from my third trimester. She wants me to ask my OB about it at my appointment next week, but honestly, I don't know that there is much to be done about it---is there? She suggested things I've already been doing, like elevating my feet when I get home (since I sit at a desk all day) and trying to cut down on sodium (which, honestly, I have not been doing, at least not yet.) She's going to research for me the possibility of some natural pregnancy-safe diuretics. Anybody have any ideas that might keep me floating off down the highway on my own two bouyant feet?

8 Comments:

Blogger Meghan said...

I was having crazy cankles a few weeks ago and someone at work gave me a little step stool to keep under my desk to have my feet up all day long. It does wonders (helps my back too). Also soaking your feet helps they say, although I don't do that as often I should. And my doc told me to drink tons and tons of water

Hope it helps...doc also said its the price of being pregnant in the summer so we have to get whatever sort of relief we can

and yeah for you for hitting the gym again ;)

2:06 PM  
Blogger Roni said...

Please, please call your OB and ask. I agree that everything sounds great since she checked your pressure, but you need to make sure with your OB that they don't want to bring you in to pee in a cup to see whether you are spilling protein into urine. I'm not trying to panic you, even if you were spilling protein (which is a sign of pre-eclampsia), it wouldn't necessarily mean much at all since your pressure is good, but they may tell you that you need a few days of not working and lying down until the swelling goes down, or they might want you to do a blood pressure check more regularly - or it just might be normal and no issues. They also may not want you to work out at the gym anymore right now - and whatever the OB says needs to be the final word since you need to protect yourself as much as protecting the baby!!

Ok, I know that was assvice, and I truly don't mean be such a worry wort, but you need to ask your OB if something different than the norm happens, and while this can be totally normal, it is different than the norm for you in your pregnancy thus far. NEVER be afraid to call with the smallest thing and say "this is happening, anything about which I need to worry?" and let them guide you.

And I would say that, regardless of the best intentions of your trainer, do NOT take anything that she has researched as a pregnancy-safe diuretic without asking your OB for confirmation.

Whew, I was a pain in the ass today, eh?

Water does help, and make sure your feet are up as much as possible anyway. That will keep you from going up and down with the swelling, especialy in the heat.

Oh - one more point - while Meghan said that soaking feet helps, I can tell you that doing that made mine swell significantly larger, and the OB warned me away from soaking my feet. Any time spent in hot water opens up the blood vessels and sucks in all the fluid, I think is how it goes. Sorry to contradict.

Ok, now I am truly done. Miss assvice at your service :)

3:56 PM  
Blogger deanna said...

RONI: Never fear! Assvice is always welcome here! I appreciate your concern and will take it into good consideration. =)

6:29 PM  
Blogger Roni said...

Cool - I was afraid you'd come after me and kick me with your giant feet :)

9:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm delurking to say...Please, don't hestitate to call your OB about this. Ask to come in earlier than your next apt. if need be. Its better to have your OB see you and maybe have other testing done to be sure all is OK.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of pregnancy! It affects everybody differently, and it being mid-summer, I think it's normal to have more swelling. Although it seems a tad early for you to having such crazy edema, the real problem is when you have other symptoms. Swelling is a normal occurrence. When your blood pressure starts to go up, spill protein in your urine, see double, have blurry vision, or frequent/severe headaches - that's when there is a concern about pregnancy induced hypertention. PLEASE please don't take any diuretics. Next time you go to the OB, tell her your concerns about the swelling. If you have any of the other symptoms, call her. Like Meghan said, drink lots of water. It actually helps flush you out.

I've been wearing flip flops for weeks now. I had a wedding I went to a few weeks ago that I had to go buy a pair of sandals for, since my feet would NOT fit into any of my heels. I officially had some Fred Flinstone feet after I took a "put-me-into-labor" walk the other day. I sure do feel attractive! Ha!

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(After phoning the OB just to check!) I was a big swollen thing by the end. Working and on my feet a lot did not help. I tried elevating my feet after work etc and drinking plenty of water which helped a bit. But basically pictures of me at 40+ weeks closely resemble the stay-puffed marshmallow man.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Aaahhh... cankles!

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home