Monday, July 07, 2008

Such Sorrow

Please send any kindness and comfort you have to my friend, Karen.
Her adoptive daughter was born on Thursday, but this morning the birth parents announced that they are cancelling the adoption.

I am so angry.....and so confused. The birth parents have had MONTHS to process this decision. They watched as Karen and her husband prepared an entire beautiful nursery, attended baby showers, involved their loved ones in the celebration and anticipation of the baby's arrival, and then bonded with the baby in the hospital after her birth. They watched all of these things unfold, and yet......destroyed their hopes and hearts in one short phone call.

I realize that human beings are a complicated bunch, and that nature and emotions often play powerful roles, but still......doesn't human reasoning, responsibility and committment figure into that mix, too?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am right there with you. I just read the news and am so sad for her. It is so hard to understand why. My heart is with Karen.


Miss X

12:47 PM  
Blogger Roni said...

OMG how horrible. I'm so terribly sorry for Karen and her husband. I really have no words, but my heart just aches.

I understand how birth parents can change their minds, and that they have the right to do so, but to not provide an inkling to the adoptive parents until after the birth is just cruel. Again, I understand that things can change for them quickly, and one part of me understands that it would take the birth to really make that kind of snap change, but still, so, so awful.

12:52 PM  
Blogger loribeth said...

One reason (although not the only one) why dh & I ruled out adoption. :( I'm so sorry for your friend. What a nightmare.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Wordgirl said...

ooof.

Oh, that's so so hard.

I'm so sorry for your friend.


Pam

2:01 PM  
Blogger Yoka said...

What a terrible thing to happen. That would be my worst nightmare.

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how very very sad. My heart aches for your friend.

6:38 PM  
Blogger KLTTX said...

I am sorry that your friends had to go through that. That is one of my worse fears as we go down the adoption path.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Kara said...

I can sympathize (to a degree) with her situation and please just give her a hug for me. It is tough when we are so wanting a child to love, the risk we are willing to put out there.

It has to pay off sooner or later, right?

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home