Thursday, July 31, 2008

Checkup, and Drafting the Big Plan

Why do I love my doctors? Because even though I've gained 32 pounds so far at 29 weeks along and feel like a complete MOOSE, my woman-doc breezed into the the exam room today and said, "Deanna, you look wonderful, as always!" I wanted to throw myself at her feet and shower blessings upon all her offspring, but instead I just shook her hand and blushed a "Thank You!" It's one thing when Jake tells me I still look good, but when my doctors tell me, I consider them the experts and their compliments really mean the world to me.

Aside from being completely at-ease with my weight gain, my doc also announced the happy news that my glucose screening test was absolutely normal. I felt compelled to write a letter to Mr. Ben and Mr. Jerry, just to let them know that our friendship will still be going strong through the next 11 weeks. (After that, I might have to get kick-ass about dieting, but until the baby is born, well, nobody's saying the "D" word around here.)

Snippet's heart rate was a solid 140---just a few beats away from the same range he's been at since we first heard his heart pounding away at 6 weeks along. He's such a steady boy, and it is still an incredible pleasure each visit to hear that rhythmic reassurance. Oddly enough, though I feel Snippet moving now constantly, I still have not felt him moving above my belly button, and usually he moves a good inch below it. I asked the doctor if this was normal and she said Yes, because I'm tall with lots of room. (I think this was her nice way of saying, "Girl, you've got wide hips. Why would he move up and be cramped, when he's got all the room in the world down there?")

With a nervous quiver, I found the courage to ask her about birthing plans. I had expected The Gong of Dread to sound somewhere in the building, but she didn't seem terribly phased. I told her we had started childbirth classes and drafting the birth plan was part of our homework. I wanted to know what format she preferred to receive it in, as our instructor was insisting that we should write full paragraphs detailing our intentions. Although I'm a fan of writing and would love for my doctors and the entire hospital to know why Jake and I feel the way we do about all of our decisions, I can't honestly believe that anyone actually wants to read multiple-page birth plans. My doctor quickly agreed and said she much prefers a checklist format that any of the staff can quickly asses and understand our desires. She told me to bring in the plan next month and she'll review it with the man-doc, and then discuss our choices with us. I think most of our wishes are pretty reasonable, but I'll be glad for the chance to actually talk about them with her before we all converge at the hospital for the big event.

If you wrote a birth plan, where did you find inspiration for it online? We're currently researching and I would love a few good links. Did you encounter much opposition from your docs or hospital staff? How did you handle any disagreements?

9 Comments:

Blogger Shelby said...

29 weeks, wow!!

Congrats on passing the glucose test! Yeah for Ben and Jerrys!

Sorry I can't help with the birth plan...I knew both times that I was having a c-section, so I never even gave it a thought. Good luck!

8:50 PM  
Blogger BigP's Heather said...

YAY for good news! I'm SO glad everything is going so well!!!

We don't take our classes until September, so I don't know about writing birth plans yet - I would love any info you get if you wouldn't mind passing it along.

8:51 PM  
Blogger moo said...

Dee....I have been away and I am catching up. I cannot believe it so close now. OMG. My birth plan was simple..but my doc is actually an old family friend...I said whatever you need to do...I want to have her naturally if possible. I ended up laboring for 12 plus hours and an emergency c. But I have the most perfect bay I could wish for. Hugs and Love. MOO

10:37 PM  
Blogger Roni said...

Awesome news on passing your GD test - coming from one who failed with flying colors, I am retroactively envious of you :) Seriously, it is great news, and one less worry for you.

And birth plan - well, let's see...mine pretty much was made up of "please rip my head off and yank him out of my neck, anesthesia or not, I'm ready, please..." but that's just me.

I was so ambivalent on how it ultimately happened, mostly becuase I had so many issues and really just wanted to leave it to the doctors to do whatever they felt was best. You are doing so well with your pregnancy that I'm sure you will be able to give a birthing plan and have them follow it.

If I may give some assvice, I think it is very important to give your birthing plan to let them know exactly what it is that you want. But when the time comes, remember that they will do what is best for you and the baby, and sometimes that doesn't synch with the plan. Hopefully you will be able to have exactly the birthing experience you want, but at the end of that day you will have your beautiful little boy in your arms, no matter how he came into it.

I am really a pain in the ass, aren't I? Feel free to kick me. I'll give you my address :)

9:54 AM  
Blogger deanna said...

RONI: I welcome all your advice! It's always full of experience and honesty, so keep it coming. =)

I'm trying to keep in mind what you said about flexible on the Big Day. Jake and I definitely have some strong feelings about how we want things to go, but I'm trying to remind myself that sometimes plans have to go out the window if the baby has other plans.

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Deanna, glad to things are going so well! My birth plan was just bullet points of the things that were most important to me. It was a bit like:
*I want my husband to support me
*I don't want an epidural or pethidine
*I will have gas and air
*please encourage me to move around during labour
*I want my husband to cut the cord after it has stopped pulsing
*please hand me the baby
immediately
*I would like to consider a natural 3rd stage (delivery of placenta)
*I want to breastfeed immediately

You get the picture! It was mainly followed - the midwife came and clarified that I didn't want an epidural etc. At the end for lots of boring reasons I had a bad tear and had to be stitched in theatre under a spinal block so I had the injection for delivering the placenta to make it go faster. Otherwise the other points were honored.

Good luck!

2:36 AM  
Blogger Mindy Richmond said...

That movement below the belly button probably is because you're tall - and be thankful for it! I am 5'1" and let me tell 'ya, it was so crowded in there for the last few months. Being short and pregnant don't seem to go together.

My birth plan was pretty simple - take the drugs! - and that didn't work out so well for me. So yeah, I have no advice on the birth plan. Sorry :(

12:09 PM  
Blogger Chastity said...

I did some birth plan research with my first pregnancy, but honestly, I never found anything online very helpful. All the ones I found were what I considered much more crazy and hardcore than I was. Then of course, around week week 37 we realized my daughter's growth was mysteriously inhibited, so I ended up needing to be induced at 38 weeks, so most of what I would have included kind of went out the door.

Good luck though!! I hope it all works out for you!!!

12:32 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I had a birth plan, but it was all shot to hell by 22 weeks. By then, I just wanted a live baby.

Surprisingly enough, aside from the month-long NICU stay, Brody's birth went pretty much like I would have wanted it too. I wanted to try it without an epidural, and I did for a while (a while= 40 hours), but ended up having one. I don't regret it.

I can't believe you're already 29 weeks. Only 8 weeks until that baby is fully cooked!

We need belly shots, by the way!

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home