Monday, October 06, 2008

On the Drip

It's ten minutes until 2pm, and the Pitocin has been increased four times now. It's at 18ml per hour, and has finally taken effect. (I really hope this means they'll stop increasing it now!) The contractions feel very close together, though I don't know how close. It seems like just a minute or two apart, and they're lasting somewhere around a minute.

They suck.

They've gone from feeling like low menstrual cramps to spreading out all over the place---lower hips, lower back, and spreading upward in the sharpest points. I had some ideas for how I would get through them, but unexpectedly ended up using a technique I learned from years of yoga classes. When they kick in, I just stop everything and find a focal point---a nicked spot on the TV bureau, a smudge on the floor, a little red square on the wheel of Snippet's crib. I focus in, and then let my eyes blur and tune out out for the duration. Unfortunately for Jake, I also need him to stop talking as any chitty-chat sound becomes suddenly the most irritating thing in the world. He catches on, though, as soon as I start staring off into space and drop out of the conversation.

I wonder how long this technique will get me through.
I hope to Gawd no one does another internal exam anytime soon. That was some kind of mean business.

18 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

I'm so excited for you that you are on your way!! Can you believe that this time tomorrow he will be here?

Sorry about the pitocin, it sure does suck. Do whatever it takes to keep yourself healthy and as comfortable as possible. As painful and awful as contractions are, I promise you that they won't last forever (it just feels like it).

Good luck! Can't wait to hear about the birth.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Roni said...

OMG You are getting so close! I've been anxiously checking to see how you're doing, and glad at least that you have found a technique that works for you thus far. Hopefully it will go the distance.

You'll be there soon!!!!

And frankly, I'm surprised you are still able to post - you GO girl!!!!!!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Miss X said...

You are so great to keep a running post for us! Thinking of you.

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for yoga! I'm thinking of you and hope your focusing techniques work and the pitocin isn't too evil for you. Can't wait to hear the news that he's here. :)

3:28 PM  
Blogger Language Arts Lady said...

Hooray! You're almost all the way through and soon you will be holding your new baby!

I hope you post soon that you are finished, the baby is here, and show us some lovely pictures.

Thanks for keep us updated.

:o)

3:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am in so in awe that you are posting today! Wow! Keep us updated.

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a total stranger, living in Toronto, who came across your blog months ago thanks to some random search term -- probably "8dpo" and "too soon to test" -- and I figured I ought to introduce my lurky self before your own wee one introduces himself to the world. Go you!

3:54 PM  
Blogger tobacco brunette said...

Wow...you are amazing. No drugs and your practically live blogging your delivery. Wish I didn't have to leave for a meeting soon.

Hang in there. Snippet is on his way!

4:28 PM  
Blogger Brandy said...

I just got caught up and am totally thinking of you and hoping that things are progressing right along!! Yay Deanna and YAY snippet!!! Hang in there girl!

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go girl!

It is so awesome that you have wi-fi there... live updates are great. I am impressed.

Thinking of you guys!!!

6:33 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Baby baby baby! Whooohoo!

7:02 PM  
Blogger Wordgirl said...

WOW.

i can't believe you're able to blog -- you are a better woman than I -- I would be, no doubt, throwing my computer off the bed!

Can't wait for the next post,

Xo

Pam

8:30 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I have checked your blog about 1,000 times since your last post. I am in desperate need for an update. I'm sure you're not busy breathing, pushing, or whatnot to give us a little hint of what's going on ;)

I'm on pins and needles! I've got the shakes! I need to KNOW!!!!!

*sending more good vibes, hugs, and love*

9:42 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!

11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deanna-
OMG today is my BIRTHDAY!!! Please let him come today. Oh my!!! Good luck. Good luck.

Leslie B.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Femme au Foyer said...

I am so excited for you! Snippet is probably here by now. You are so amazingly cool for blogging WHILE IN LABOR!! Good luck and may God bless you, your husband and Snippet!!

11:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thinking about you and knowing that Snippet must be here by now. Hope you're enjoying wonderful first hours with him! (((Hugs)))

1:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck. Thinking of you and hoping everything went well.

2:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home