Monday, October 06, 2008

At Dawn

The night passed fitfully, as contractions rose up about two hours after my water broke. I was up and down out of bed, restless, pacing, mostly scouring Univ. of Google for advice on what I should do. Go the hospital? Wait it out? I decided to wait it out, and am still at home. The fluid gushes continued through the night, completely soaking a overnight maxi pad, but now the leaks have mostly stopped. I changed the maxi and it's only slightly damp.

I finally got out of bed for good at 6am, and took a shower. When I first got up, my contractions were coming at about 6 minutes apart, lasting 45 seconds, but now, post-shower, they have slowed way, way down. They haven't stopped, but they're about 15 minutes apart, lasting 30 seconds. I ate a bowl of cereal and drank a protein shake while waiting for Jake to wake up. Once he takes a shower we're going to head to the trail where I walked Puppy yesterday in hopes of kicking the contractions back into overdrive.

I am definitely NOT going to the hospital with my contractions this far apart. That seems like a complete recipe for a Pitocin disaster. So, we'll be walking several miles, hoping that heats things up.

Snippet seems to be doing fine. He's still moving around plenty, so this comforts me in my decision to wait things out.

8 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

How exciting!! Amazing that TODAY might be Snippet's birthday.

Just be careful... I'm sure you know that the reason they want the baby out within 24 hours is because of the increased risk of infection after the water breaks. Without a sterile cocoon around him, any bacteria that might find it's way into your ... um ... womanhood would head for him. I always thought of the amniotic sac as a bubble of kryptonite, where bad things would just bounce off it.

So don't wait too long! Pitocin sucks for sure, but the whole painful labor thing has a very definite end. The safety of you and your baby are the most important thing of all.

Good luck! Can't wait to hear the full story!

7:32 AM  
Blogger Safire said...

Good luck today! Sounds like you're prepared and on your way! But like Leah said, don't wait too long. I'm sure you, like the rest of us, can't wait to meet your little guy!

7:56 AM  
Blogger Rebel With.A.Cause said...

Awesome!! Good luck today sweetie!!!!

9:10 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

YAY!!! I'm so excited. Snippet will be here soon! I'm dying for an update!

9:34 AM  
Blogger Roni said...

OMG YAY!!! Although I'm sure you don't feel so yay right now.

Sweetie, don't wait too long. I'm not sure how far you are from the hospital, but they will not induce you for a long, long time. And if you are having contractions like that I'm sure you are dialating and effacing. You don't want to have Snippet in the car or in an ambulance. You will be much more comfortable once you get tucked in at the hospital. I'm very hopeful that now, at 10am eastern, you are there.

I am thinking about you and Jake, and sending all the good thoughts, prayers and everything I can pull all the way from my toes.

Good luck, and the next time we hear from you you'll be telling us about Snippet's birth! I'm teary.

Lots and lots of love!

10:07 AM  
Blogger Meghan said...

Yeah!!!! Snippet could be arriving as I type this...how exciting!

If you're still at home, I second Leah's caution.

best of luck

10:48 AM  
Blogger Miss X said...

Positive thoughts for you honey! I can't wait to see little Snippet!

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh good luck Deanna!! I'll be thinking about you, Jake and Snippet!

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home