Friday, September 26, 2008

Adventures at 37 Weeks

Tantalizing Tidbit: Baby shower pics are now up on the private blog: The Open Album

Here's the latest belly pic, at 37 Weeks, 1 Day. Seriously, if I get any bigger, I'm going to have trouble fitting through doorways:



Today's doctor visit showed that, for the first time in this entire pregnancy, I went an entire week without gaining any weight! I spooked the nurse with my shrill happy yelp when she announced that those dreadful numbers hadn't crept up, for a change. So, as of last week's weigh-in, I have gained a total of 44 pounds with Jumbo Snippet (whom I no longer feel inclined to call, "Little Snippet.") I have no explanation for the weight plateau, except to blame the scale, which was surely not calibrated correctly. The rest of my visit was super-smooth, with none of the drama that plagued my last appointment. My doctor gave me an entertaining charades-esque imitation of how I should look and sound with contractions before showing up at the hospital. Her accompanying words were, "If you come to the hospital and you're smiling, it's probably too soon." She agreed with Man-Doc that Snippet is head-down and has dropped, and told me not to fret over the fact that I still haven't had a single contraction, or any spotting. She said sometimes these things just pop up without any kind of prologue.

I find myself getting anxious these days, wishing I could know whether I have a few days left, or a few weeks. Some days, I'm quite calm about the uncertainty of it, but other days I'm a wreck with wishing and wondering. My anxiety was tempered somewhat by the doctor's announcement that she will be on vacation all of next week. I like Man-Doc, but would really prefer to have Woman-Doc preside over things, as she and I have made a good connection over the past many months. So, if Snippet has any sense of proper timing, he'll wait a week for her to return, and then decide he's ready for the party to start (even if that would be a tad on the early side.)

After the O.B. appointment, Jake and I were off to meet Snippet's prospective pediatrician. He made a really good impression on us, being very friendly and conversational. I made a point to bring up the subject of vaccinations, to gauge his reaction to something I'm sure he's sick to death of talking about, and to also gauge his attitude about pesky patients who might question his recommendations. (Just as a note, here, Jake and I have not decided how we're going to approach the vaccination issue, as we have just started our research on the subject. This topic just seemed the perfect way to feel out the personality of the doc.) He admitted that it was a frustrating and worrisome situation, and explained the reasons he approaches vaccinations as he does. But, he also said he was very willing to work with us, if we preferred to tweak the schedule for our own peace of mind. He took the time to explain the major studies that have been done on the vaccination/autism connection, and recommended several books and websites we could read to see the study results for ourselves. He really seemed to fit our requirements, which at their simplest, are just a doctor who is open to discussion and discourse. I'm very hopeful that Snippet will form a good relationship with him over the years, so that he becomes a trusted confidant and source of advice.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so smart to "test the waters" with a question like that. Glad to hear he passed the test :)

The "trouble fitting through doorways" is actually good practice for what is to come. I feel like I am constantly putting my hand over Evie's head as I walk around with her in my arms, to make sure I don't bump it on furniture or doorways :)

12:05 AM  
Blogger Roni said...

So glad that you found someone you liked!

And let me tell you, you look incredible. Some time I'll have to dig out a pic of me at the end and compare - you look like a waif :) You are ALL baby!

11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home