Sunday, September 21, 2008

Locked & Loaded

Our bit of excitement on Thursday, plus the lovely news of Snippet's "dropping," galvanized Jake and I to finally get our shit together. Jake assembled the bassinet and it is now in position by my side of the bed. I need to make a quick trip to BRU this weekend to get cradle sheets for it, but otherwise, it's primed for a baby. Sleeping tonight is going to be a strange experience, indeed, knowing that it's just sitting there.....expectantly, waiting for its occupant.

Jake also assembled the travel system stroller and car seat, which we both agreed was super-spiffy. (This was one of our big purchase splurges early in my second trimester, so it was great to see that it was as cool as we had hoped.) Jake made a valiant effort to install the car seat in my car, but gave up after about an hour of swearing and once yipping at me, "Will you just let me do this?!" He was peeved to discover he actually could not do it, and gave up only grudgingly, saying, "You'll have to take this thing to the police station. I don't know how the hell it works." His grumpiness only lasted a moment until I heard him say happily from the kitchen, "Ooooooo.....peanut butter cups!"

For my part, I washed another ton of Snippet's laundry and set up the functional things in his nursery, like the Diaper Genie and the wipes warmer. Who knew one tiny little man could be such a clothes horse? Here's his official first basket of clean clothes:



I also went on the hunt for his coming-home outfit, and found a sweet little gem. I like it because it actually looks like real clothes. By that I mean that I'm completely confused about most baby clothes because they all look like pajamas to me. Does anyone out there know how to tell the difference? As far as I can tell, they're all soft and squishy and made from pajama-like materials. Do they count as pajamas if they have the built-in feet? Is that the marker---if you have to add socks, they count as socially-acceptable real-boy pants, instead of drooling sleepy-boy jammies? Anyway, here's his big-boy outfit for that long two-mile car ride home:



Armed with the ceremonial overalls and a pile of clean onesies, I set about packing The Hospital Bag. I've been scoping around online for ideas on what to pack, and the suggestions get a little weird. I mean, I want the comforts of home, but I don't really want to lug piles of crap into the hospital, only to have to lug it all back out the car on check-out day. I tried to be thoughtful about what to pack, without assuming I need to pack for every conceivable situation. Here's what made it into the trunk of my car today:

Tank top (for sweating my ass off during delivery. Something tells me when the pushing starts, I won't be a big fan of the giant voluminous hospital gown.)

Gripper socks (for roaming the floors during labor without killing myself)

Contraband foodstuffs (there's no way in the hottest pits of hell I can go 8+ hours without food during labor, so I'm sneaking in protein bars and cereal bars to give me a boost when I need it)

Nursing gown (for post-delivery lounging about)

Sleeping gowns, sleepers, onesies, and Going Home outfit for Snippet

My going-home outfit (not nearly as cute as his)

Grungy undies (my SIL warned me to bring my own, as the mesh ones get a little irritating after awhile)

Maxi pads (I know the hospital will provide these, but I've been told they give you giant mattress-sized ones that aren't terribly comfortable. I'm hoping my tried-and-true standby, Always Overnights, will be able to soak up the post-birth funk.)

Boppy pillow

Travel size toiletries

On game day, there will be the other stuff to throw in a bag, like cameras, cell phone chargers, bathrobe, etc. Does anyone have suggestions for something really great that I have left off the list? Do tell!

11 Comments:

Blogger Roni said...

BIG shoes. My feet swelled up so big that I couldn't even fit into the wide flip floppy sandals I had. I left the hospital in socks.

I would say get a really wide pair of fuzzy slippers just in case your feet swell too much to fit.

Other than that you have a great list!! And you will definitley destroy the undies - you might want to pick up a couple packs of BIG granny panties, as you can never guarantee that the pads, hospital boat size or otherwise, will do the trick.

Sounds like you are ready!!

9:47 PM  
Blogger BigP's Heather said...

Someone told me to bring Depends - don't rely on just pads to get me through. This freaks the shit out of me.

11:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That outfit is adorable! I think you're right that most "going out and about outfits" are recognizable by a lack of built-in socks. :) I think your list looks great, but I would add Lanisoh to your list. The other things we are appreciating right now are: having brought our own water bottles to fill up in as needed and our diaper rash cream because our hospital doesn't provide it. Then again, she didn't need the rash ointment until yesterday and by that point you'll be home with Snippet!

9:25 AM  
Blogger Miss X said...

Super cute outfit!

10:52 AM  
Blogger tobacco brunette said...

This is a very exciting post! You're almost there!!! Love the going home outfit and the little basket of laundry was so adorable.

Can't wait for Snippet to get here.

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The outfit you chose for Snippet is adorable!!! BUT...

Pack a couple of backup coming home outfits. S went home in the outfit we planned for him, but C was a spitter-upper, and she spit up all over two outfits as I was getting her ready to come home.

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a lurker, but I just had to comment that I am SO excited for you. I just had my first, also a boy, in March, and reading your hospital list brought back so many fond memories. I loved the whole labor and birth thing - and I did it without an epidural! Good luck and best wishes!

5:56 PM  
Blogger Mindy Richmond said...

I wish I had thought to bring the boppy pillow to the hospital. I was so frustrated with the pillow situation there but once I got home the boppy was a lifesaver.

My heart skipped a beat when I saw the picture of Snippet's coming home outfit. I could almost picture him in it. I'm so excited for you I can hardly stand it!

8:50 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Don't forget Jake! He'll want a change of clothes and money for the coke machine. Take your own pillow. The plastic hospital pillows leave much to be desired. Plus, you can never have enough pillows. You'll want those big pads they give you until you go home. It's all so messy. I didn't mind the mesh panties. I also took some hard candy and gum.

The outfit is adorable! I can't wait to see him fill it out :)

8:54 PM  
Blogger Safire said...

I was going to say your own pillow too. One for Daddy as well if he's planning on spending some time in the hospital at night with you.

You'll want the hospital pads for the first day at least...get the ones with the cooling gel in it. Ahhh...so nice on sore and stitched up girly bits. And it's horribly messy (much more than your normal period, at least mine was) so the huge hospital pads are a good thing.

I would add to your list baby nail clippers since babies often come out with claws and the nurses won't cut them. That's the second thing I did with my boys after I nursed them...cut those nails!

Looks like you're getting all prepared.

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job on the list. Since you probably won't be taking your whole purse, give Jake your driver's license and insurance card to put in his wallet. I had my first in MD and for some reason needed it.

Most hospital lactation consultants will give you a set of the gel like silver dollar thingys to put on boobs to make them less sore, but they are stingy with them:) They are that good. Try to find a set now.

Also, nursing bra. I wore one for the first six months, 24/7.

Take care,
Leslie B.

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home