Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Middle in Flux

Since early in my first trimester, I've been keeping a private, handwritten journal addressed to Snippet. I write to him about all kinds of crap---my anxieties, hopes for him, updates on what the doctors tell us about him, explanations for things, etc. I have also updated him on the progress of choosing his name. His first name has been rock-solid since Jake and I chose it, but the damn middle name has been like the flavor of the month.

Unfortunately, since this diary to him is a permanent, non-deleteable thing, Snippet will one day know that his middle name was first one thing.....then another.....and now finally another. ("Finally," of course, meant as seriously and solidly as I thought I meant it about the first two options.) I have no idea why we're anguishing so much over the middle name, when most people never even tell the rest of the world their middle name. It just hides there in secret, known only the owner and his parents. And, yet, it's been this irritating point of flux for both Jake and I.

I wonder what Snippet will think when he's an adult one day and reads about the names that exist in his alternate universe. Will he wish we had kept one of the other two that we have since discarded as unworthy of him? Will he agree with us that Option #3 is really the best? Or, regardless of all that, will my rambling written explanations to him just confirm what he has already come to know in his 25 years (or however old he will be when I give the journal to him): My mother is an indecisive ninny who can hardly choose which nasty crap she wants to eat off the McDonald's Dollar Menu, let alone pick a name for her kid. Crimany.

5 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

A few months ago, we happen to mention to our daughter that we considered naming her Michaela. For almost a full week afterwards, she insisted that she didn't like the name Megan anymore and would refer to herself to Michaela. Luckily she forgot about it eventually.

Nothing, however, tops the fact that when she started nursery school last year, she would only answer to the name of "Ariel." She insisted that the teachers call her that, forced us to sing "Happy birthday, dear Ariel..." (caught on video), and would completely ignore anyone who attempted to call her by "Megan." That phase took over a month to wear off and it was fairly comical.

It will be interesting to see what Snippet thinks of his alternate names. At the moment we're having trouble calling our son by his given name -- we keep referring to him as, "buddy" or "little man" or stuff like that. I guess it's all better than "hey you!"

2:38 PM  
Blogger Meghan said...

We had the harder time with the middle name too. Sometimes we wanted to give a nod to family, then wanted something that would be a good resume name, then finally just decided on what we (ok I) thought was pretty. It's funny though, now that she has this name I could never imagine her being anything else! I bet Snippet will like reading all of the thought you put into his name!

2:47 PM  
Blogger tobacco brunette said...

The journal idea is so sweet and thoughtful. I wish I'd done something like that. What a cool thing for him to have - regardless of the dozens of middle names.

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you've done a personal journal. That is going to be so special to him.

That said, I'm dying to know about the names you've chosen, and not chosen. Any chance you can post them on your invite-only blog???

And thanks for your support on my blog, also.

2:57 PM  
Blogger deanna said...

LEAH: I love the Ariel story! What a hoot! And, so awesome that you have it on video.

HOPEFUL MOTHER: Sure thing! Except we're keeping his name a secret until he's born. But, once he's out, his name will be plastered all over the private blog. =)

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home