Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Postpartum Potpourri

My thoughts and observations haven't been very leisurely and longwinded much these days, but instead seem to come in little bursts. So, here are the Best Ofs from the muddled mix:

I think it's safe now to say that breastfeeding has finally become something less than an exercise in self-torture. I noticed about four days ago that I woke up with boobs that actually felt NORMAL---nice and squishy, instead of rock-hard masses. I was afraid to post about it, feeling certain it was some kind of fluke. But, it's been four days and they still feel quite soft and pillowy. The nipples are still achy most of the day, but this pain is totally manageable. The only sharp pain now is the latch pain that lasts about 15 seconds each time Snippet starts to nurse. I'm hopeful that this will soon disappear. It is quite-quite possible that we have finally turned the corner, and will be leaving all those nasty painful miseries in the past. Also, I debate whether to one day tell Snippet that I saw him suck down a piece of a nipple scab last week. Hmmm......I might save that tidbit for when he's older and is in the kind of big trouble that deserves some creative punishment.

Snippet's weight is progressing really well, in spite of my breastfeeding complaints. Here are his stats so far:
Birth Weight = 7 pounds 5 ounces
Weight at Discharge from Hospital 2 Days Later = 6 pounds 15 ounces
Weight at Pediatrician Appt. 2 Weeks Later = 7 pounds 13 ounces

Within an hour of bringing Snippet home from the hospital, I had poop on my shirt. I'm not sure if that is a sign of successful induction into parenting, or sheer hilarious abject failure at my new job.

It is not cute when Jake snores (though, sidenote,it's really, really cute when Snippet snores). If I'm not just generally annoyed at Jake's loud snoring, then I'm likely to feel slighted, like he's snoring on purpose to rub in my face the fact that I, actually, am NOT snoring. I am slumped in bed breastfeeding Snippet in the middle of the night for the 2nd or 3rd (or, oh-geez, 4th!) time since going to bed. Or, I am slumped in bed just rocking a cranky-for-no-good-reason baby, trying to soothe him back to sleep, while trying to keep myself from falling asleep and thereby allowing him to roll off the bed to be eaten by the cats (who don't normally eat children, but who just might in this case since they clearly don't enjoy his presence.)

Last Saturday, Snippet peed on his own face. How is that kind of trajectory even possible? Note: Jake was changing his diaper at the time, not me! Perhaps I'll save that tidbit for some time when Snippet claims Daddy is sooooooo much cooler than me.

I pay obsessive attention these days to the material that floors are made of. I am TERRIFIED of dropping Snippet. I walk up and down our stairs with him very slowly, very intentionally stomping each foot on each step, to make sure I don't hurry and mis-step. I also have less patience with Girl-Cat, who loves to sleep the full-length of the 3rd step from the top. Since she's a big girl, this leaves me barely one foot-width to fit and step past her. When I'm out in public, I check the floors of each place we go---concrete nearly catches my breath in my throat with absolute horror, hardwood is mildly scary, laminate and linoleum flooring is practically worry-free. I am curious to find out what it would cost for us to cover all the floors in our house with 5-inch thick shag carpeting.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the chuckles. Except for the breastfeeding bits, I am so there with you. It is torture to be up trying to pat and soothe a baby while trying not to fall asleep yourself. I, too, am terrified about Evie rolling out of the bed and onto the floor where the dogs will eat her.

3:20 AM  
Blogger Safire said...

Oh I hate the hubby snore while I am up. Sometimes I kick mine and wake him up and mumble something. I've considered dumping cold water on him. Ice by his feet maybe? Or shaving cream on his face. Or even makeup! Sad, but imagining him makeup makes me giggle a little and makes the night a little more doable with the baby.

Poop on your shirt is not a failure. It just means it's time to change your shirt. And his.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Roni said...

I pinch, poke, kick and yell when Paul snores. And, of course, if I'm up in the middle of the night it is that much more of an insult. Add sleepless baby nights - totally unacceptable. I say roll him out of bed and say "oh, did you fall out?" ha ha.

So poop on your clothes - welcome to the world of the initiated. Just make sure you don't bounce him over your head while smiling with an open mouth or you'll also be iniated to the world of getting throw up in your mouth. Gag.

And peeing in the face - my older son did that - if it wasn't so startling I'd have fallen on the floor laughing. Right into his eye. And then he proceeded to projectile diarrhea about 2 feet out on the rug - and I put my hand in front of it to try to stop it. THat was a fun one - needless to say I learned a bit about diapering after that early experience.

And SO happy to hear that the bfing is getting better. I am really proud of you, D! Go boobies!

11:49 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Glad the BF'ing is going better. Everyone says if you can make it through the first 6 weeks, it'll be a breeze!

8:13 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

I am so sorry I haven't been around to congratulate you sooner! Congratulations!!!

I'm glad things are starting to get better in the breastfeeding department - I am so glad I haven't had to go through all that this time around. (I find the 1st child did the brunt of the breaking in). As for the snoring - I'm right there with you. Only I think you are doing a much better job than I am of staying awake. Most nights I wake up slumped over a sleeping baby resting on the boppy, back so sore I can barely get up.

9:53 PM  
Blogger Miss X said...

Glad things are going better for you.

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home