Thursday, January 29, 2009

A Year and a Bit

Today marks the one-year anniversary of my first positive pregnancy test. How incredibly much things have changed in that one year!

I so vividly remember standing there, staring at that test. I bought the cheapo Wal-mart ones because I thought at least if it was negative, I wasn't getting ripped off, too. But, then it wasn't negative. It was somehow positive. Jake and I were in such rabid disbelief that we could only truly believe it once we had knocked on my neighbor's door and asked her to look at it and give us her honest opinion. We were silent and still while she held it to the light in her kitchen and happily shrugged and said, "Looks positive to me!" When we see her now, I wonder if she knows she holds a place in our collective heart forever, having been the very first person we told our amazing news?

A year later, and I went from standing dumb in my bathroom with a shaking stick in my hand, to wrapping up my baby son and putting him to bed. From pacing the floor wondering if I picked a good prenatal vitamin, to fretting over whether Snippet's phlegmy, snotty cold is worth a visit to the doctor. From seeing his tiny flapping heart on the ultrasound screen, to holding his sweet head to my heart while he slurps happily on his fist. How can so much have changed in the simple space of one year?

(PS---New pics are up on the private picture blog.)

7 Comments:

Blogger Miss X said...

What a beautiful year. Love it.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Its a magical feeling, isn't it? Sometimes I still feel like I'm dreaming.

1:58 PM  
Blogger loribeth said...

Yours was one of the first infertility blogs I started reading, Deanna (although I don't remember how I found it). I'm just thrilled that things have turned out so well for you!

9:13 PM  
Blogger Roni said...

Happy anniversary, D!! And hasn't it just all melted away?

11:36 PM  
Blogger the misfit said...

Wow. My neighbors are seventy...they lend us garden tools, but I can't quite imagine asking them to help me interpret a pregnancy test!

And, I have to say, reading your profile makes me hopeful. My DH has been smoking for 19 years. (And he's not that old. He started young.) Maybe if he quits - which would be good for any number of reasons - that would take care of some of our problems. Not the endo, but it might help...

11:13 PM  
Blogger Tobacco Brunette said...

What a great year!! Happy Anniversary!

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello-

I am reaching out to my fellow bloggers to introduce myself. I am an adoptive mom who underwent IF for 4yrs. I started a non-profit
Parenthood for Me.org.
Our mission is to provide financial and emotional support to those starting families through adoption or medical intervention. Education is a big part of our mission statement.
Also, I holding an essay contest as well.
Please visit my blog
http://parenthoodforme.blogspot.com


Sincerely,
Erica Schlaefer

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home