Monday, January 05, 2009

The Phlegmy Update

We visited with Snippet's pediatrician this morning and he says there are definitely some coarse lung sounds on Snippet's right side. The doc thinks it was a bit hasty for the clinic doctor to jump from that observation to the pneumonia diagnosis since Snippet doesn't have other associated symptoms like a phlegmy cough, etc. And, thankfully, the hours-long screaming episodes ended last night, and today I have my happy-pants baby back. His temperature this morning was a pleasant 98.3, so it's oddly as though yesterday was just a terrible dream.

In the meantime, the doctor wants us to go ahead and give Snippet the antibiotics for the remaining 9 days. (I find this instruction a little weird, as it seems like just throwing random medication at something without actually knowing what's going on...but bygones....) He wants to see us back in two weeks to see how Snippet's lung sounds. If the raspiness is still there, then we'll head in a different direction.

I also asked him whether poor Snippet's flathead is going to cause him social anxiety and ruin his life forever. He said most babies have some kind of flathead when they're young and they grow out of it once they get mobile. He is only concerned if they develop a flathead from top to bottom (instead of the middle-head flatness Snippet has), or if they develop bald patches. Thankfully, Snippet has loads of hair growing in, so no worries there. Since we recently threw down a pretty, cushy area rug in the nursery, we'll start being more diligent about tummy time up there, away from all the probing doggies noses.

Thanks very much for all the varied feedback in my last post. I always appreciate a wide range of opinions and advice.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, the reason the doc is having you continue the meds is because when you begin a course of antibiotics and then stop it in the middle it creates the perfect environment for those bacteria to develop a resistance to that particular antibiotic (i.e. mutate) and create one of those super-bugs like MRSA. By continuing the antibiotics you are ensuring that all of the bacteria exposed to the first pill will be killed off by the next 9 pills and won't have a chance to mutate and then spread to others.

I'm sure you already know this, but you'll want to make sure you are working to prevent thrush for the next couple of weeks. Giving antibiotics to a baby is a sure-fire way for them to get it and then spread it to your breasts...ouch. I think I remember reading that you should expose your nipples to air a lot to prevent it, so draw the blinds for a couple of weeks and walk around topless. Jake will love it :)

Anyhow, I'm so glad Snippet is better!!! And that you doctor was supportive and nice! It worries me, what he said about heads, though. Evie doesn't have any flatness but sure does have a place where her hair is thinning and getting bald-ish. We have an appointment with the doctor tomorrow AM because Evie has a dry cough and also I've noticed some white stuff in her mouth. I can't figure out if it's spit-up or thrush, so off to the doc we go. I'll ask her about the bald spot while we're there.

Oh, and try doing tummy time on Snippet's changing pad or in his play gym, just to mix it up :)

11:57 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

i still have a bit of a flat spot on my head. seriously. it's impossible for anyone to notice. the kid will be fine! :) (and now you know you are special, because I do not tell people this!)

11:00 AM  
Blogger Safire said...

I'm so glad Snippet it better! And I'm glad your doctor visit wasn't too terrible.

A note to Karen: seriously don't worry about the bald patch. All of my kids had one on the back of their head that went away within a few weeks of them rolling to their tummy.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Meghan said...

So glad Snippet doesn't have pneumonia! And Karen's right about continuing the antibiotics. Once you start them you've got to finish.

But now you've got me worried. Sweetness has a HUGE bald spot on the back of her head. Thing is though, she does tons of tummy time and it doesn't look flat. We've got an appt next week so I'll ask about it then

1:57 PM  
Blogger deanna said...

KAREN: I understand about continuing antibiotics if you have a bacterial infection, but if this is something viral, then the antibiotics are all for naught. I'm surprised that the doctors are willing to just throw random medications at this, without actually knowing what they're up against. It seems like such a horrible game of chance with no idea of the outcome.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Roni said...

I'm so sorry you are going through all of this - it sucks wide. Poor baby Snippett...unfortunately little ones are vulnerable and can get sick. I hope he gets better soon.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

A second caution about watching out for thrush. It can be super painful and it can be a PITA to treat/get rid of for both of you. Load up on the probiotics to help both of you out.

As for the bald spot being a worry - all of my kids had (well, the baby has) a bald spot and no one has a deformed head (yet).

9:48 PM  
Blogger Tobacco Brunette said...

I hope Snippet is continuing to do better. Don't be hard on yourself, Deanna. We spoke a good deal about the vaccines and I was very impressed with the amount of research you'd done and the strong understanding you have of the topic. You made a very informed decision in the best interest of your little man and in this insane world of baby raising and all the conflicting views on EVERTYING...that's all you can do.

XO

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home