Waking Up
It is thoroughly amazing to see Snippet awakening to the world.
In his first few weeks of life, he stared off into space, not even showing any focus on Jake's or my faces. It was distressing to feel so utterly ignored, especially when I was giving so much of myself to his care. But, then, at 4 weeks, a light clicked on and the sweet little smiles began to appear. Around 6 weeks the smiles exploded into full-on giggles, and they have just expanded in their joy in the two weeks since then. It's the silliest things that make Snippet laugh---tickling his lips and tongue with his pacifier, giving him loud kisses on his cheeks, chanting the likes of "Piggy! Piggy!" and "Mr. Baby-Pants!" in high-pitched voices as Jake and I stand over him at the changing table. These moments are such incredible salaries for the hard work that makes up each day of attending to him.
The latest point of awakening we have noticed is his new ability to actually *see* things. He used to just blankly stare right past a toy if it was held up to him, but now he actually sees them and seems amazed by them. There is a toy bar over his swing that has suddenly caught his fascination, whereas a few weeks ago the toys seemed invisible to him. I wish I could capture in words his expression---it's an intent focus, a curiosity, a desire to know, an unbroken intentness. (Well, unbroken, except by his wailing stomach, that is.) He shows the same focus on the bunnies of his crib mobile---granted, an entrancement that only lasts as long as the mobile is twirling, which gives me about two-and-a-half minutes to tidy up the nursery before I have to crank the mobile again.
About two weeks ago, he also discovered what wondrous things his hands are. His loud sucking of them is the latest unique noise around the house, and he seems to thoroughly enjoy the activity. Jake calls it, "licking the invisible lollipop" as he sticks his whole tongue out and licks happily at his fists for a solid 15 minutes before crying to be entertained externally.
I am so anxious for the day he discovers the dogs, which somehow he has not yet done, in spite of Puppy's constant licks and attempts to smother him in drool. All three dogs are his constant companions, with Puppy and Black-Dog being his most interested friends and guardians. So far, he seems to show no recognition of their existence, but I hope someday soon he will (although, once he does, they may regret all their attempts to interest him!)
In his first few weeks of life, he stared off into space, not even showing any focus on Jake's or my faces. It was distressing to feel so utterly ignored, especially when I was giving so much of myself to his care. But, then, at 4 weeks, a light clicked on and the sweet little smiles began to appear. Around 6 weeks the smiles exploded into full-on giggles, and they have just expanded in their joy in the two weeks since then. It's the silliest things that make Snippet laugh---tickling his lips and tongue with his pacifier, giving him loud kisses on his cheeks, chanting the likes of "Piggy! Piggy!" and "Mr. Baby-Pants!" in high-pitched voices as Jake and I stand over him at the changing table. These moments are such incredible salaries for the hard work that makes up each day of attending to him.
The latest point of awakening we have noticed is his new ability to actually *see* things. He used to just blankly stare right past a toy if it was held up to him, but now he actually sees them and seems amazed by them. There is a toy bar over his swing that has suddenly caught his fascination, whereas a few weeks ago the toys seemed invisible to him. I wish I could capture in words his expression---it's an intent focus, a curiosity, a desire to know, an unbroken intentness. (Well, unbroken, except by his wailing stomach, that is.) He shows the same focus on the bunnies of his crib mobile---granted, an entrancement that only lasts as long as the mobile is twirling, which gives me about two-and-a-half minutes to tidy up the nursery before I have to crank the mobile again.
About two weeks ago, he also discovered what wondrous things his hands are. His loud sucking of them is the latest unique noise around the house, and he seems to thoroughly enjoy the activity. Jake calls it, "licking the invisible lollipop" as he sticks his whole tongue out and licks happily at his fists for a solid 15 minutes before crying to be entertained externally.
I am so anxious for the day he discovers the dogs, which somehow he has not yet done, in spite of Puppy's constant licks and attempts to smother him in drool. All three dogs are his constant companions, with Puppy and Black-Dog being his most interested friends and guardians. So far, he seems to show no recognition of their existence, but I hope someday soon he will (although, once he does, they may regret all their attempts to interest him!)

5 Comments:
Thanks for the birth announcement! It turned out so cute! :)
They start to smile and interact at just the right time, don't they? Glad Snippet and mommy are doing well
Aww, how cute! I still remember those good ole days with my twins. Oh, how I miss them! Your son will discover those cute furry babies of yours real soon and it will be so fun to watch them! I'm still thinking of getting a puppy for our kids but simply can't afford it right now. I can't wait though!
What a lovely post, and you brought me right back.
Paul says it's like watching a dimmer switch go up a little every day. I've also heard it's like watching your favorite dog eventually learn how to talk. Personally I like Paul's comparison better :)
RONI: I love the dimmer switch analogy! Perfect!
Post a Comment
<< Home