Superficial Rant
So, here's my bit of motherly superficial ranting for the year, since I do try awfully hard not to get caught up in the irritating little details that accompany parenting. But, I can't hold this one back:
HUGGIES can just suck my ass. Since they refuse to hug any part of my son's little tushie, they can suck mine all they want.
We were given both Pampers and Huggies as baby shower gifts, and I was intrigued to see which (if either) we would ultimately cling to as our diaper of choice. We had problems with Huggies from the very beginning when Snippet was wearing the teeny tiny newborn size. He was constantly pissing up the front of them, or leaking other, nastier things up the back or out the sides. The Pampers would occasionally cause us problems (mostly the Swaddlers variety, actually), but it was the Huggies that were so terribly consistent in their disappointment. I chaulked it up to perhaps our not being diaper pros and thought maybe we were just putting them on wrong, or not tight enough, etc.
We used up the Huggies (of which we only received one box in newborn size) and continued on with all the free Pampers. Snippet chunked up to Size One several weeks ago and we have been plowing through the Pampers in that size as well. I was saving the one box of Huggies we received for last, out of simple dread of having to use them. Having run out of the Pampers now, I cracked the box on the Huggies this morning, which spelled ultimate doom for the brand.
Shortly after his mid-morning nursing session, Snippet was writhing in agony as he prepared for a major expulsion. As I held him in my lap, trying to comfort him through it, the equivalent of Infant Armageddon ensued. Mere seconds after it began, I saw the brown stain start weeping out across his pants, his onesie and my hand that cradled his behind. He hadn't even finished his attack on humanity, and already the damn Huggies was leaking. I leapt up the stairs to the changing table, watching the grossness spread all across his clothes. I stripped him down and the nastiness was everywhere---his chest, stomach, thighs, back, and even his poor head as I pulled the disgusting onesie off of him. This was no cleanup job for a wipe, or even a whole box of wipes. This was one of those moments when only near-complete immersion into a bath of warm water and Aveeno suds will do. I draped one of his bathrobes around him, and practically flung him into his bath tub, just to get the funk away from me. I have rarely experienced the kind of relief that accompanied the moment that I plunged my sticky hands into the warm bath water and watched my poor son transform from a foul-smelling little beast into a lovely lavendar-smelling clean sweetie.
Only question now is: Is it horribly ungrateful to throw out the box of Huggies? I sure as hell will not be using them, but I feel bad (and wasteful) throwing them into the trash. Since the package is opened, I don't imagine that a community service center would accept them as a donation, and I would hate to curse anyone I personally know with them. I suppose the trash is the only suitable place for them to live, where the seagulls can trot all over their pathetic plastic bodies and squawk their worthlessness to the world.
HUGGIES can just suck my ass. Since they refuse to hug any part of my son's little tushie, they can suck mine all they want.
We were given both Pampers and Huggies as baby shower gifts, and I was intrigued to see which (if either) we would ultimately cling to as our diaper of choice. We had problems with Huggies from the very beginning when Snippet was wearing the teeny tiny newborn size. He was constantly pissing up the front of them, or leaking other, nastier things up the back or out the sides. The Pampers would occasionally cause us problems (mostly the Swaddlers variety, actually), but it was the Huggies that were so terribly consistent in their disappointment. I chaulked it up to perhaps our not being diaper pros and thought maybe we were just putting them on wrong, or not tight enough, etc.
We used up the Huggies (of which we only received one box in newborn size) and continued on with all the free Pampers. Snippet chunked up to Size One several weeks ago and we have been plowing through the Pampers in that size as well. I was saving the one box of Huggies we received for last, out of simple dread of having to use them. Having run out of the Pampers now, I cracked the box on the Huggies this morning, which spelled ultimate doom for the brand.
Shortly after his mid-morning nursing session, Snippet was writhing in agony as he prepared for a major expulsion. As I held him in my lap, trying to comfort him through it, the equivalent of Infant Armageddon ensued. Mere seconds after it began, I saw the brown stain start weeping out across his pants, his onesie and my hand that cradled his behind. He hadn't even finished his attack on humanity, and already the damn Huggies was leaking. I leapt up the stairs to the changing table, watching the grossness spread all across his clothes. I stripped him down and the nastiness was everywhere---his chest, stomach, thighs, back, and even his poor head as I pulled the disgusting onesie off of him. This was no cleanup job for a wipe, or even a whole box of wipes. This was one of those moments when only near-complete immersion into a bath of warm water and Aveeno suds will do. I draped one of his bathrobes around him, and practically flung him into his bath tub, just to get the funk away from me. I have rarely experienced the kind of relief that accompanied the moment that I plunged my sticky hands into the warm bath water and watched my poor son transform from a foul-smelling little beast into a lovely lavendar-smelling clean sweetie.
Only question now is: Is it horribly ungrateful to throw out the box of Huggies? I sure as hell will not be using them, but I feel bad (and wasteful) throwing them into the trash. Since the package is opened, I don't imagine that a community service center would accept them as a donation, and I would hate to curse anyone I personally know with them. I suppose the trash is the only suitable place for them to live, where the seagulls can trot all over their pathetic plastic bodies and squawk their worthlessness to the world.

12 Comments:
This cracked me up. Throw those suckers in the trash! Do it and don't look back! Down with Huggies! Yeah!
Egads! Don't throw them away!
I said forever that Huggies don't fit Jr. right. It's like they don't fully wrap around his thick little thighs/hips. I always just buy what is on sale and I have a coupon for. We tried generic brands, but they aren't nearly as absorbent and he complains - so we go through twice as many, which makes me feel guilty about the landfills. Now that he's a bit older, I find that Huggies to fit him a little better.
Give them to somebody, anybody. There are plenty of people who really need diapers. Or find something to do with them, like: a jar full of diaper cotton, ice packs for future toddler disasters, save them for your future girl (Everybody who has a girl uses Huggies, boy parents use Pampers)
This girl parent (x2) hates huggies too. Pampers rule! (This makes me want to get all netspeak and type P@mpErZ RLZ 4EVAH or something. Snort.)
I'd put tape over the hole in the bag and donate them to a women's crisis shelter or something. There are babies out there that fit huggies, and free diapers, even a pack that's short one, are a good thing.
Don't throw them out! Sell them on Craig's list. or even give them away to your local women's shelter. They are happy to have some free diapers. I gave my surplus away to a couple of twin mommies in the area.
I love pampers until they get past the size ones. Then it's huggies all the way because they seem to fit better.
And as for your boy's release...doesn't sound like any diaper could have held that! Way to go Snippet!
This cracked me up, too. I'm glad we didn't use Huggies in your diaper cake! :) All babies are different and diapers fit some better than others, so I'd say donate them anyhow. And I just have to say, for the record, that cloth diapers rock at containing poo. We've had only one minor poo leak in the past 3 months and that was just a tiny amount out of a leg opening because we didn't close the velcro tightly enough. And it's not just because formula poo is more solid; Evie has very liquidy, breastmilk-type poo frequently and even that doesn't leak in cloth diapers. :)
Karen, are you using the "G" diapers?
Oh I am a total Pampers mom to... until we get out of 3's then it is on to Luvs.
Huggies SUCKS!! I had my God Daughter living with me when she was a toddler, and she could pee through a huggies in one potty time. I was so mad that I called them... what did they do?? Sent me like 20 coupons... Yeah like that was gonna pay to get the carpets cleaned!!!
LOL My identification word was "Thievers" Close enough to what Huggies does to ya!!!
Yeah, I wouldn't throw them out. I hate Huggies but I know they work for some people. So if you can find someone like that, I'm sure they would be appreciative.
Pampers are my favorite. We tried the cheaper brands but it wasn't worth the couple of bucks we saved because he went through them faster and we ended up spending even more.
I actually feel the same way about regular Pampers!! I can't stand the things. I really like the swaddlers but those don't go into the bigger sizes. After that I adore Huggies and Pampers always seem to leak for both my kids. Do what works best for you and I just gave the pampers I hated to a pregnant friend and said - oh here, I didn't use these before Aiden grew out of them. I didn't lie and she got diapers. We both won. He he.
I'm in the vast minority here- Huggies Supremes were the only thing that did the job for us.
Like someone else said- I'm not sure any diaper could have contained the blowout you described!
For future reference: the worst diapers EVER- Luv's. Do not even be tempted by the lower price, you have to use three times as many!
I'm having the same problem. Just finished cusing out a package of Huggies after changing Owen for the FOURTH time. How do they piss up their sides and backs?
How???
Happy New Year. Hope you are all well!
Ahahahaahh! His head? His HEAD? How on earth did "The Funk" find its way to his head.
This post is hilarious! We use Swaddlers and while we definitely have a leak from time-to-time, it's nothing like what you experienced with the Huggies. Yet.
Post a Comment
<< Home