Saturday, January 03, 2009

What I Would Read, If I Could Read

Since I'm in deep despair that I don't have any time to read (and have only read "The Vaccine Book" in the whole 12 weeks since Snippet was born), I thought I could reminisce about books I have previously read, snagging Karen's meme below.

The Big Read reckons that the average adult has only read 6 of the top 100 books they’ve printed. (**I'm not sure at all what the criteria were for making it onto this list, but I'll go along anyway.)

1) Look at the list and bold those you have read.

2) Italicize those you intend to read.

3) Underline the books you love.

4) Strike out the books you have no intention of ever reading, or were forced to read at school and hated.

5) Reprint this list in your own blog so we can try and track down these people who’ve only read 6 and force books upon them


1 Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen: I won't strike through this one (since I don't even know how to make my keyboard do that anyway), but I will say it's extremely doubtful I'll read it. I'll admit it, though it might get me thrown out of the literary girls club: I don't like Jane Austen---not one bit. I won't say, "Hate," but it comes close. Her books are tedious.

2 The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien: Yum, yummy yum stuff. Fun and thoughtful, all rolled into three volumes.

3 Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte: Have read this one multiple times and love it anew with each read.

4 Harry Potter series - JK Rowling: I can't italicize this one because it's just a big "Maybe" on my list. I like the movies a whole lot, but with my reading time being so limited, I just can't say that this series makes the cut.

5 To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

6 The Bible

7 Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte

8 Nineteen Eighty Four - George Orwell


9 His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman

10 Great Expectations - Charles Dickens: I can say with my whole heart that I love everything I've ever read by Dickens, which is several titles, though I still have many more to read. (I keep getting stuck happily re-reading David Copperfield.)

11 Little Women - Louisa M Alcott: I've tried to read this several times, but it stinks of the same Jane Austen-esque tediousness that makes me snooze.

12 Tess of the D’Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy

13 Catch 22 - Joseph Heller

14 Complete Works of Shakespeare: Have read many of them, but certainly not the complete works. In general, I'm a fan and have already begun reading them to Snippet.

15 Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier

16 The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien: As much as I love Lord of the Rings, I can't get through this book. It bores me just a few chapters in.

17 Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks

18 Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger

19 The Time Traveller’s Wife - Audrey Niffenegger: I promised Karen I would read this book, but I forgot about it until I saw it on her list. Maybe I'll remember it now.

20 Middlemarch - George Eliot

21 Gone With The Wind - Margaret Mitchell: This was super-duper fun to read.

22 The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald

23 Bleak House - Charles Dickens

24 War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy

25 The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams: I loathe this movie (both versions!), so it's extremely doubtful I will
ever read the book, even though Jake tells me it's purely wonderful.

26 Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh

27 Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

28 Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck

29 Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carroll

30 The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Grahame

31 Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy

32 David Copperfield - Charles Dickens: Love-love-love it, have read it several times.

33 Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis: I love these books so much, I saved my $5-per-week allowance for months as a kid in order to buy the whole series.

34 Emma - Jane Austen: Read it. Hated it.

35 Persuasion - Jane Austen

36 The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - CS Lewis: Confused---who would read just this one book, and not the whole series?

37 The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

38 Captain Corelli’s Mandolin - Louis De Bernieres

39 Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden

40 Winnie the Pooh - AA Milne

41 Animal Farm - George Orwell

42 The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown

43 One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez: Technically I have read this, but I read it much too fast as part of a Master's English class, and didn't retain much. Definitely deserves a re-read.

44 A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving

45 The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins

46 Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery: I tried to read this book several times as a kid, but was bored to drooling.

47 Far From The Madding Crowd - Thomas Hardy

48 The Handmaid’s Tale - Margaret Atwood

49 Lord of the Flies - William Golding

50 Atonement - Ian McEwan

51 Life of Pi - Yann Martel

52 Dune - Frank Herbert: Have not read, but Jakes says it's amazing.

53 Cold Comfort Farm - Stella Gibbons

54 Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen

55 A Suitable Boy - Vikram Seth

56 The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon

57 A Tale Of Two Cities - Charles Dickens

58 Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

59 The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon

60 Love in The Time Of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

61 Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck

62 Lolita - Vladimir Nabokov: This book got me psyched about Nabokov in general.

63 The Secret History - Donna Tartt: This was lots of fun.

64 The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold: HATE THIS BOOK ETERNALLY.

65 Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas

66 On The Road - Jack Kerouac: I read a chapter or so of it, and then threw it across the room.

67 Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy: HATE. HATE. Long and boring and HATE.

68 Bridget Jones’s Diary - Helen Fielding

69 Midnight’s Children - Salman Rushdie

70 Moby Dick - Herman Melville: LOVE it. Have read it several times, despite being warned against it by friends who were English majors.

71 Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens

72 Dracula - Bram Stoker

73 The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett: A very lovely book.

74 Notes From A Small Island - Bill Bryson

75 Ulysses - James Joyce

76 The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath: Have been wanting to/meaning to read this for years.

77 Swallows and Amazons - Arthur Ransome

78 Germinal - Emile Zola

79 Vanity Fair - William Makepeace Thackeray

80 Possession - AS Byatt

81 A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens

82 Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell

83 The Color Purple - Alice Walker

84 The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro


85 Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert

86 A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry

87 Charlotte’s Web - EB White

88 The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch Albom: Have not read, but it sounds like utter crap.

89 Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: I read a couple of these as a kid. Particularly liked Hound of the Baskervilles.

90 The Faraway Tree Collection

91 Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad

92 The Little Prince - Antoine De Saint-Exupery

93 The Wasp Factory - Iain Banks

94 Watership Down - Richard Adams: A wonderful, lovely book, re-read several times.

95 A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole

96 A Town Like Alice - Nevil Shute

97 The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas

98 Hamlet - William Shakespeare

99 Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Roald Dahl

100 Les Miserables - Victor Hugo

3 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

I definitely know I'm in the six book list. I should have read more, but when I was forced to do it in college, I didn't want to. As we were rearranging books on our new bookshelf last night, I held up Erasmus Luther's Discourse on Free Will and he said, "Isn't that a little advanced for an 18 year old?". I agree. A lot of books they threw at us I didn't understand. I don't think it's because I'm necessarily stupid, but more about maturity and comprehension of things that are a deeper level. Okay, maybe I'm a little stupid. :)

For a few months now, Jeremy and I have turned off the TV and have focused more on reading. He is reading Ron Paul's The Revolution and I'm reading Donna Tartt's The Little Friend, which I'm not enjoying nearly as much as The Secret History.

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your comments made me laugh! I hypothesize that the reason I enjoy Austen and Little Women and Anne of Green Gables and such is because I was raised watching old movies? Interesting, though, that some of my absolute favorites were ones that bored you and one I didn't like (Watership Down) is one of your favorites. I'll definitely have to give WD another chance when Evie is old enough. Oh, and the Hitchhikers movies ARE crap, they don't live up to the book at all. I think the list is supposed to reflect British citizens' top 100 favorite books, based on a poll by the BBC, but I might be wrong. I think there are duplicates like Chronicles of Narnia AND Lion, Witch & Wardrobe because some people will say one is their favorite and others will say the whole series is their fave. J wanted to know who on earth would say the Complete Works of Shakespeare is their favorite book...what a pompous choice, right?

10:28 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

This list was fun. I wonder how it was compiled. I had fun going through it and thinking about my own choices and preferences.

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home