Wonder-Doc
My first OB appointment yesterday was super!!! Jake and I went together, and were both anxious about meeting this doctor who was going to be so involved in our lives for the rest of the year. I got a recommendation for the OB from someone I trust pretty well, but I was still apprehensive. My fears were slowly calmed even as we walked in the door. The office staff was incredibly nice and patient. Then, the nurse was unbelievably kind and sweet. By the time the doctor entered the room, I had myself pretty convinced that the "like attracts like" theory must surely be in effect in this place, and I wasn't disappointed. The OB was wonderful! She was very thorough in her medical history questions, and was so considerate about the really personal ones. She didn't appear rushed and she actually gave us time to ask her questions instead of the usual, "Do you have any questions---ok, then!" that I've gotten from plenty of other medical types.
Unfortunately, as awesome as my OB is, I won't get to see her at every visit because she shares the practice with two man-docs. Though this definitely isn't my ideal, I know that it's typical, so I'm going with it. She discussed with me their rationale behind this---the whole bit about not knowing which OB will be on-call when you go into labor, so it's best that you get to know all three of the doctors, blah, blah, blah. But, then she ended it with the sweetest thing: "So, there's no way to know which of us will be delivering your baby, but I really hope it's me!" At this, I literally clasped my hands to my chest and squealed, "I really hope it's you, too!" It was a damn-near love connection.
The only disappointment was that my ultrasound was bumped to this coming Monday. I was bummed about it, but not distraught. I would have been distraught, except that the visit with the doctor gave me such a sense of peacefulness about things. Ever since I got that first positive test, it's like my heart has been beating in double-time. I've been an unfocused, anxious mess, wondering whether everything is okay with Snippet. I was banking all my chips on the ultrasound as the one thing that would finally give me some confirmation that all is well, and allow my breathing to relax. But, the doctor was so amazing and didn't seem the slightest bit concerned about anything we reported to her. All the blood & pee tests have come back with happy results, and my exam went without a hitch. Somehow her attitude of (possibly premature) confidence floated right onto me, and when we left the office, I could feel my pulse slowing, my chest relaxing, my head calming. Needless to say, that has NEVER happened in an encounter with a doctor, let alone one who had just held me prisoner in the stirrups.
I'll have ultrasound pics and details to share on Monday! Woot!
Unfortunately, as awesome as my OB is, I won't get to see her at every visit because she shares the practice with two man-docs. Though this definitely isn't my ideal, I know that it's typical, so I'm going with it. She discussed with me their rationale behind this---the whole bit about not knowing which OB will be on-call when you go into labor, so it's best that you get to know all three of the doctors, blah, blah, blah. But, then she ended it with the sweetest thing: "So, there's no way to know which of us will be delivering your baby, but I really hope it's me!" At this, I literally clasped my hands to my chest and squealed, "I really hope it's you, too!" It was a damn-near love connection.
The only disappointment was that my ultrasound was bumped to this coming Monday. I was bummed about it, but not distraught. I would have been distraught, except that the visit with the doctor gave me such a sense of peacefulness about things. Ever since I got that first positive test, it's like my heart has been beating in double-time. I've been an unfocused, anxious mess, wondering whether everything is okay with Snippet. I was banking all my chips on the ultrasound as the one thing that would finally give me some confirmation that all is well, and allow my breathing to relax. But, the doctor was so amazing and didn't seem the slightest bit concerned about anything we reported to her. All the blood & pee tests have come back with happy results, and my exam went without a hitch. Somehow her attitude of (possibly premature) confidence floated right onto me, and when we left the office, I could feel my pulse slowing, my chest relaxing, my head calming. Needless to say, that has NEVER happened in an encounter with a doctor, let alone one who had just held me prisoner in the stirrups.
I'll have ultrasound pics and details to share on Monday! Woot!

5 Comments:
YAY for wonder-doc!! And YAY FOR YOU!!!!
I am so happy you had this great connection, and that you feel calmed.
I can't wait to hear about the u/s and see a baby pic on Monday!!!!
That is FABULOUS!! So glad to hear that things went well. That's exactly how I felt with my midwife, like I knew right away that she was the kind of person I wanted taking care of me. I'll be checking back all afternoon to see pics of that ultrasound!
I'm so happy it went well!!! I can't wait until Monday!
So so glad the appointment went well and you liked wonder doc!
Can't wait to see those ultrasound pics!
lalalalalalalalalalalalalala! can't wait for more good news, De!
Post a Comment
<< Home