Tuesday, February 05, 2008

First Beta Results

I called my gyno's office this morning and received the happy news that my beta test was positive! The hcg level was 66 on CD31. I wasn't charting, so I can't be sure how many days post-ovulation I was, but I'm estimating 17DPO.

I'm scheduled for my second beta tomorrow to see how things have risen since last week. I asked the nurse if I should run out today for the second beta, but she said the doctor wanted a week between the two tests. That seems a little long to me, but this also comforts me that my doctor isn't worried about the hcg level. Online guides say anything between 5-450 is normal, but dang, it would be nice to have that number a little higher.

Does anyone know how 66 fares in the world of betas? Just looking for a little reassurance, but honest concern is welcome, too.

Thanks for coming along on this ride with me!

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm definitely not the person to ask about betas but just know that you are in my thoughts and am expecting positive news from your next beta soon!


Miss X

11:30 AM  
Blogger Brandy said...

I think that sounds great. You could just have been 12 or so dpo, and that would be COMPLETELY normal to have that kind of number. All that matters is that it doubles every 48 hours and when you see that you will hopefully sigh with relief. :-)

11:58 AM  
Blogger Safire said...

2 times at 16 dpo I have been in the low 50's (53 and 55) so yours is a great number!

12:01 PM  
Blogger Meghan said...

Without knowing exactly how many dpo you are, it's hard to say. This next # will give you alot more info.

But congrats again...that is most definitely a positive beta!!!

12:05 PM  
Blogger Roni said...

I believe you were at around 16 dpo when you had it, and that's absolutely fine!! The fact that, since then, you have been continuing to get positive pee sticks, that means your beta should be going up and not down (if it were down you wouldn't be seeing a positive test). That number is VERY acceptable!!! You should have no issues with seeing an upward trend with the next beta, and remember that doubling, while the standard, sometimes isn't exact. And once you get to a certain beta (I think it's 2000) the rates change and it doesn't continue to follow standard. At that point, though, you should be getting an ultrasound to take a peek.

OMG I"m so excited for you, D - THIS IS FABULOUS!!!!! Still sucks you had to wait until today...

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know nothing of betas - they tend not to do them in Britain unless you are being HUGELY closely monitored by a fertility clinic. But everyone else is saying hopeful things, so I say, yay!

1:42 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Totally fine...and in fact, PERFECT! Your test in a week should at least double. But you already know it's going up because of your darker HPTs. A higher number now would be a strong indication of multiples!

(all of this verified by other nurses!)

1:46 PM  
Blogger BigP's Heather said...

My clinic likes to see anything over 25. They only do betas for IVF - and they do it two weeks after transfer (so it would be at least 17 dpo or longer). I would say 66 is a GREAT number!

3:24 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Regardless of what DPO your test is on, what really matters is how it doubles. Add to that the fact that you don't know what DPO you were, and you really can't tell ANYTHING from this single value. I know it's frustrating, but hopefully you will get the results of tomorrow's test faster. (Can you ask them to run a stat beta so you can get the results same day??)

All that said, 66 is a good, solid beta for 4-ish weeks pregnant. Way to go!

3:55 PM  
Blogger Shelby said...

That looks great! I'm so excited for you!!

6:23 PM  
Blogger moo said...

Mine was:
DPO:13 HCG: 35

Yours is great!

9:47 AM  
Blogger LJ said...

I think it sounds just lovely!!! I cannot tell you just how happy I am for you.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Roni said...

Ok, I know I already commented on this post, but I'm waiting waiting waiting with you to find out the results of beta #2, and crossing all appendages for absolutely fabulous news!!!

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home