Thursday, January 31, 2008

Fuzzyheaded

Oh, gosh....I just don't even know how to begin.......Only a few times in my life has my head been swimming this much. My wedding felt like this, but it was only for one day. But, this whole thing has had me nearly-dizzy for days now. One minute, I'm having so much trouble just wrapping my mind around the truth of what's happening, and the next I'm freaking out about dumb shit like: Where, oh, where shall we move the litterbox, if the upstairs spare room is going to be the nursery now? I think the thing to do is open a blank Word document on my computer and just have a big random spew---write down anything that's bubbling around in my head to get it the frick out. Part of my freaking out involves the fact that I'm thinking of important things, and then freaking out that I'll forget the important thing. So, a big write-o-rama seems definitely due. I'm really hoping it will help clear my head so I can stop gazing off dead-faced into nothingness at work.

I did, indeed, have bloodwork done yesterday, but when I called my gyno's office today to get the results, they horrifically informed me that my doctor had the nerve to go and get the flu, and she is the only one who can interpret the test results. Can you imagine? In January? Apparently, she's so damn sick that she's cancelled all of her appointments until Tuesday. TUESDAY, PEOPLE! I was very distressed about this on the phone, and made some wheezy pouting noises before hanging up. I meditated on the news for a moment, and realized that, in light of this morning's positive pee stick, I now have a total of three positive tests. Is there REALLY any chance that all three of the tests are wrong? And, this morning's test nicely popped up noticeably quicker than yesterday's, and it also is happily darker. So, I have decided not to panic about the lack of beta results, as they would surely only echo the positive results I have already been getting. And, since I can't very well drive over to my gyno's home to ply her with tea and homebaked goodies (can I?), it's best to gulp down my disappointment and assume the best. So, in the spirit of wild assumptions, I'm assuming I'm actually pregnant, and not the victim of some crazy scheme involving pregnancy test companies and their multi-flawed designs.

In the spirit of said assumption, Jake and I are going to visit his parents tomorrow to break the happy news. And, I'll be calling my dad later tonight to tell him, then calling my mom in a few days when my brother can be there to keep her from completely flipping out. Then, Jake and I are going out to dinner Saturday night to celebrate at my favorite restaurant. I know that this is an uncertain road, and that such celebrations can seem premature and naive, but I'm going to enjoy this. Fear aside, cynicism aside, doubt aside---this has never happened in my entire life. I'm going to enjoy the moment, live in THIS moment, this wonderful, amazing, whizbang moment.

Jake is over the moon, to put it lightly. His utterances in the first few minutes consisted mostly of "Really? Really?" Then, there was this doozy: "Damn....I guess that doctor was right." YUP. I guess she was. He even said we should send the clinic a thank-you note to let them know how much appreciate them giving us a diagnosis. I'm not so sure I want to go that far, but the fact that he was finally acknowledging the connection between our infertility and his smoking habit made me feel quite satisfied.

In closing, for the benefit of all the Univ. of Googlers out there, just to clear up any doubts:

Can smoking cause infertility? YES!
Can nicotine damage sperm? YES!
My husband quit smoking, can we get pregnant? YES!

17 Comments:

Blogger Meghan said...

What a wonderfully fantastic attitude you've got going! I'm both jealous and impressed ;)

And a little appalled that there's no one at your drs office that can read the little number next to beta hcg but hey...

So excited for you, and good luck to Jake with attempt #2, is he going to the Chantrix again or just go cold turkey?

8:19 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't stop SMILING and being twitchy with EXCITEMENT!!!!!

I just can't believe, though, that there is NO ONE else who can read the results at the office. No other doc? The nurses always called me with results. Bastards! Don't they know you're living on the frickin' EDGE, man!?!?

The third positive HPT sounds like it's all true, though. OMG - I just can't believe it. I'm SOO happy for you guys!!! I want to cry.

Much, much love,
Kimmy

8:26 PM  
Blogger Shelby said...

I love your positive attitude! I think it's great!

Good luck to the hubby on quitting for good! I'm so excited for you both!! And I'm glad he is realizing that quitting is a good idea for all of you. That's the first step!

8:47 PM  
Blogger art-sweet said...

This makes me so so very happy.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Roni said...

Ok, first I have to say WTF to those absolutely moronic office workers at your OB's office - how come no one else can read a number? A NUMBER? Ok, they're not moronic. They're following protocol. But a MONKEY could interpret a number. So I'm a bit ticked off for you (just a tad, can you tell?) that you have to wait until Tuesday because only the dr can respond to you or sign off in order for someone else to call you. It realy is appropriate protocol, but that doesn't make it suck any less. Do you have another doctor, a PCP, that you can call and ask that he/she call the OB and get your results faxed to him/her tomorrow? What unbelievable torture.

And now to move away from the rant, I think that what you're doing is great. Live with the hope, embrace it. This is wonderful, WONDERFUL news!! Enjoy every moment of it from the very first. You deserve this. And how fabulous that this knocked bricks on Jake's head to realize that this really was the cause.

Again, I am so unbelievably thrilled for you, D. Happy dancing ensues:)

10:30 PM  
Blogger Lori Lavender Luz said...

I am just so happy!

Glad you're enjoying this so much. How fun to be able to tell your families.

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am beyond happy for you!! I've been reading your blog since the "old days" and I know how much you want this. Hang in there and keep that positive attitude!

Sharon

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Deanna!!! And although it's truly heartfelt, "congratulations" just doesn't seem like enough! This is just such wonderful news. I hope you have the best time telling your families!

8:18 AM  
Blogger loribeth said...

Enjoy it!! (And whether or not the not smoking for a month did the trick, I'm glad Jake thinks there's a connection...!)

9:01 AM  
Blogger LJ said...

I have heard a rumor that you can walk into labs (like labcorp, but confirm that first) and ask for a beta without a Dr's order. Just sayin.

I am so excited for you!!!

9:47 AM  
Blogger Brandy said...

There are no words for how extremely excited I am for you and DH and the doggies. This is FABULOUS!

10:15 AM  
Blogger In and Out of Luck said...

First, congratulations! Yes, that's absolutely ridiculous about the doctor and his rare and inimitable ability to "interpret." Heck, tell them you've got an entire blogosphere of amateur doctors out here - give us the numbers, we'll interpret them! No seriously, ultimately, of course, as you know, pregnancy doesn't need beta tests to proceed, and yours seems to be proceeding right along. Yay!

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This made me start to cry. Really happy for you De. This is a long time coming. (((hugs)))) sweetie.


Miss X

11:20 AM  
Blogger hope548 said...

That is awesome! It might be easier to quit this time with such happy news!

1:42 PM  
Blogger sharah said...

Just happy for you!

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See? LINES! AAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Also, 'interpret' the test? What is it, in Swahili?

I'm so happy for you! So happy happy happy!

(Also, H has learned his lesson, and says, 'three peesticks and a blood test? Ah, err, excellent, yes?')

7:06 PM  
Blogger zsmom said...

Oh YIPPEE!!!

I am SOOOO excited for you -- I will be following and reading...and as soon as I have the energy I will graduate you to my pregnancy blogs!

xo

Pam

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home