Saturday, April 11, 2009

Suddenly-Suddenly Six Months

The past week has shown Snippet growing and changing at neck-snapping warp speed. I knew my baby a week ago, and now suddenly he is this changed creature---seeming so much Boy, and so much less Baby.

Mobility: A week ago, I was putting him in tummy time and he was hating life. He was flopping his front half and back half vertically like a landed fish, and taking a million years to remember that he wasn't actually stuck there unless he chose to be. He would eventually roll over to his back, but he was out of breath and near panic and overcome with relief. Then, this week, I put him on his stomach and over he went, in mere jolly seconds. I flipped him, and over he went again. Flipped, flopped, faster than I could even grab the camera to take a picture of the big event. He is no longer stuck!

Teeth: A week ago, that tooth that we spied lurking under the surface of his gum popped itself though. It was Sunday and we were trying to enjoy a beautiful day at the park, but Snippet was so very unhappy. He would be momentarily peaceful, and then fussing and then full-out bawling, and then revert to pleasant again. We didn't know what the hell was going on, and suspected teething, but we had been suspecting it for awhile without ever knowing for sure. The next morning, I felt along his gumline and for the first time, I felt something sharp. Then, last night there was a complete repeat of his bizarre behavior and then, sure enough, this morning tooth-the-second had broken through the lines. He is no longer a gummer!

Speech: A week ago, he was incoherently babbly---lots of fumbling sounds that didn't have any pattern or intention. He would just shriek and then laugh and then flap his lips around and laugh some more. A few days ago, something clicked and he started saying one "word" over and over, with intention and rhythm: "blah, blah, blah, blah, etc." He says it in a constant stream that goes on forever, and sometimes will stop speaking, but will silently move his lips in the same way, in endless repetition. This means something to him, I think, or it means something for him. There is something different in this babble, and I think he senses it, too. He is no longer a random babbler!

Elimination: A week ago, it was all still a big fluid mess when it was time for his body to.....eliminate things. Three weeks of solid food experimentation finally caught up with Snippet and he experienced a bit of a gastro slow-down. When diluted pear juice got the train moving again, I nearly fainted when I peeled back his diaper and saw, well, quite altered scenery. I'll leave it at that, and add that he is no longer able to audibly alert us when a diaper change is needed.

I feel pretty blind-sided by all this sudden alteration, though I know it is only the beginning of changes to come. He turned 6 months old on Monday, April 6th, and it is as though all the wheels and cogs in his body and brain heard the calendar page turn. Something has shifted here. I only hope I will continue to recognize him in the morning!

(ps: Pics to illustrate this post can be found on the private picture blog.)

5 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Oh, man..I know! I know it's so cliche, but it all goes by fast. We find ourselves reminiscing about when he was a baby - and he's only 9 months.

12:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adding to what Kim said, we've been saying the same about Evie, that she seems more like a little girl and less like a baby every day. It is so sad and cool. I remember when the speech thing happened with her, too. We were eating dinner and she started in and we just knew that it was a completely new thing. J and I looked at each other and just started laughing with enjoyment of it. I'm glad you got to experience the same moment!

12:46 AM  
Blogger Meghan said...

I know what you mean. I keep saying Sweetness is all grown up and everyone looks at me like I'm crazy! Luckily, she's still toothless...as much as I want her to get them, our nursing days may be numbered once they do pop through ;)

12:46 PM  
Blogger Miss X said...

It really does fly by, doesn't it?

3:39 PM  
Blogger Pamela T. said...

Wow. Just catching up on some long overdue blog reader. Cannot believe how fast time flies? Six months!!?? Hope all is well...

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home