32 Going on 17
We have a few weddings to attend this spring and summer, and I knew my closet was dismally inadequate. The last dress I bought was my wedding dress in 2001---a very simple $30 sparkly purple thing from JC Penney. I'm the most comfortable in pants, but I'm not afraid of skirts at all. I kind of like skirts, but just don't have much occasion to wear them. Dresses, however, I am decidedly not fond of. They make me look dumpy, dowdy---wide across the hips and lumpy in the middle. They never seem to lay correctly, always emphasizing everything I hate about my figure. However, every few years (and happening this week) I get the notion that I'm going to buy a dress, and then it always goes poorly.
The first of our weddings to attend is the weekend after Easter, so I knew I couldn't delay dress-shopping any longer. I set out all day on Saturday, trying every department store in a (somewhat small) mall nearby. There was only one dress that I could live with. It was very pretty on the hanger, though I wasn't completely crazy about it on me. It fit well, but the hemline seemed long---long like dresses women wear, and how the heck am I a woman now???? Could I really wear something so respectable? But, then it had this pretty, but completely pain-in-the-ass ribbon around the waist. (ie: a nice touch, but sure to get wrinkly and look stupid when I tried to re-tie it.) I stayed in the dressing room a long time, trying to convince myself that I am, actually, a woman and this long hemline is appropriate for me. I also reasoned around whether I could delete the ribbon, and thought I probably could. I felt pretty-much all set to buy it, until Snippet cooed and I suddenly realized---I would have to get utterly naked to nurse him in this dress. The front of the dress came way up, and had zero stretchiness in the fabric. The straps were spaghetti and stiff, the waist fitted and inflexible. A total dud, though awfully pretty, don't you think:

I shopped the rest of the day, but found nothing, and went home assuming I would try again next weekend, or else end up wearing the same old tired "wedding skirt" I have worn to every other wedding over the past few years. But, then today, while running my Sunday errands, I decided to try a local department store, even though I had shopped the same store in the mall yesterday. Snippet was happily babbling, since he loves to go clothes shopping with me. I assume he's dazzled by all the colors and patterns, and I usually keep a constant monologue going, asking him which pieces he prefers and whether they make me look like a cow. Keeping in mind the excellent advice from my friend, R. (who just tackled the "nursing dress" problem herself a few weeks ago), I searched for something with stretchy fabric and possibly a front criss-cross design for easy nursing access. I quickly came across several items that fit the bill, and was confused as to why I had not seen them yesterday. They were all hanging near one another, in a section that was near the other dresses and yet, separated somehow. What was the separation....why......and then I noticed the sign: Juniors Department. I nearly dropped my hangers on poor Snippet's head, as my hand fell to my side in disdain. Juniors? What does this mean? The only dresses I'm drawn to in two days of searching turn up in the Juniors Department---land of short hems and riskier necklines? My neckline has no business being risky, and my age should be keeping my hemline in check. And, yet.....I found a dress I liked. I tried it on, it fit perfectly and has an easy-as-can-be nursing design---stretchy fabric with the criss-cross front:

So, yes, I'm 32 years old and still shopping in the damn Juniors Department. When I compare the pictures of these two dresses, the second one seems almost ridiculous compared to the first. The first one says, "Responsible, Motherly, Adult Woman." The second one says, "DENIAL." One day I may decide to be a woman and accept a lower hemline and a respectable neckline. But, I'm just not there. The lower hemlines make my calves look stumpy and make me look shorter in general. The respectable necklines make my boobs look smaller, and I certainly don't need that. (At least, pre-nursing that was an issue, though not so much right now.) Instead, I bought the simple, flirty dress from the Juniors Department, which will need a few adjustments to accommodate a woman my age: adding a stitch to the neckline to keep my milk-boobs from completely spilling out, and a pair of Spanx underneath to keep my mushy abdomen in check. Guess I'll just reason through the psychological implications of this decision later.....much later.....
The first of our weddings to attend is the weekend after Easter, so I knew I couldn't delay dress-shopping any longer. I set out all day on Saturday, trying every department store in a (somewhat small) mall nearby. There was only one dress that I could live with. It was very pretty on the hanger, though I wasn't completely crazy about it on me. It fit well, but the hemline seemed long---long like dresses women wear, and how the heck am I a woman now???? Could I really wear something so respectable? But, then it had this pretty, but completely pain-in-the-ass ribbon around the waist. (ie: a nice touch, but sure to get wrinkly and look stupid when I tried to re-tie it.) I stayed in the dressing room a long time, trying to convince myself that I am, actually, a woman and this long hemline is appropriate for me. I also reasoned around whether I could delete the ribbon, and thought I probably could. I felt pretty-much all set to buy it, until Snippet cooed and I suddenly realized---I would have to get utterly naked to nurse him in this dress. The front of the dress came way up, and had zero stretchiness in the fabric. The straps were spaghetti and stiff, the waist fitted and inflexible. A total dud, though awfully pretty, don't you think:

I shopped the rest of the day, but found nothing, and went home assuming I would try again next weekend, or else end up wearing the same old tired "wedding skirt" I have worn to every other wedding over the past few years. But, then today, while running my Sunday errands, I decided to try a local department store, even though I had shopped the same store in the mall yesterday. Snippet was happily babbling, since he loves to go clothes shopping with me. I assume he's dazzled by all the colors and patterns, and I usually keep a constant monologue going, asking him which pieces he prefers and whether they make me look like a cow. Keeping in mind the excellent advice from my friend, R. (who just tackled the "nursing dress" problem herself a few weeks ago), I searched for something with stretchy fabric and possibly a front criss-cross design for easy nursing access. I quickly came across several items that fit the bill, and was confused as to why I had not seen them yesterday. They were all hanging near one another, in a section that was near the other dresses and yet, separated somehow. What was the separation....why......and then I noticed the sign: Juniors Department. I nearly dropped my hangers on poor Snippet's head, as my hand fell to my side in disdain. Juniors? What does this mean? The only dresses I'm drawn to in two days of searching turn up in the Juniors Department---land of short hems and riskier necklines? My neckline has no business being risky, and my age should be keeping my hemline in check. And, yet.....I found a dress I liked. I tried it on, it fit perfectly and has an easy-as-can-be nursing design---stretchy fabric with the criss-cross front:

So, yes, I'm 32 years old and still shopping in the damn Juniors Department. When I compare the pictures of these two dresses, the second one seems almost ridiculous compared to the first. The first one says, "Responsible, Motherly, Adult Woman." The second one says, "DENIAL." One day I may decide to be a woman and accept a lower hemline and a respectable neckline. But, I'm just not there. The lower hemlines make my calves look stumpy and make me look shorter in general. The respectable necklines make my boobs look smaller, and I certainly don't need that. (At least, pre-nursing that was an issue, though not so much right now.) Instead, I bought the simple, flirty dress from the Juniors Department, which will need a few adjustments to accommodate a woman my age: adding a stitch to the neckline to keep my milk-boobs from completely spilling out, and a pair of Spanx underneath to keep my mushy abdomen in check. Guess I'll just reason through the psychological implications of this decision later.....much later.....

13 Comments:
I really liked this post. :)
Good for you! I am totally puzzled by how to nurse in a dress (given that I have trouble being even slightly demure in a t-shirt and layered tank top and am way too uncoordinated for any of the nursing covers) but I would really love to get a few dresses (for my new curves, of course) now that the weather is getting nice. Are you planning to take the dress off the shoulder to nurse, or just to stretch out the front top to make room for snippet's head? (And do excuse me if that is the most idiotic/incoherent question - I have no idea how to describe these things in writing).
RACHEL: The fabric on the dress has some nice stretch in it, and easily can just be shifted to the side. It also has a built-in bra, so I won't need to wear my nursing bra underneath. I'm planning to tuck my normal nursing pads inside to catch any leaks. I'll be using a nursing cover, too, since I'm a total chicken without it. I wish I could stealthily nurse without a cover, but I have no clue how some women manage that!
Hehehe. I LOVE the 2nd dress. And frequently shop in the juniors section. I guess that puts me in the denial camp too. ;)
I've shopped in Juniors in recent years and have always felt a little guilty about it :) Both dresses are lovely, but you made the right choice for sure. I would have bought the first dress, put it on the morning of the wedding and only realized when Evie was screaming that I'd made a horrible, terrible, perfectly awful mistake. Go you for realizing it right away!
Cute dresses! And nursing in a dress is always a big problem. I have to wear one every Sunday and I've camped out in the skirt and shirt area for the duration. But I have done have to get completely naked to nurse because of a stupid dress route. Can we say uncomfortable?! Of course, with twins I feel like I get completely naked every time I nurse them together. Probably because I do.
Anyway, I know how you get better at the whole nursing without a cover and still be covered up. Practice! While at home, get Snipet all set and then fuss with your shirt, your position, etc until you find a way that it works. At least, that's what I did with Butterfly. Good luck and have fun at the wedding!
So glad you managed to find something that would work! I believe my dress was in the section labeled 'Misses' at Macy's, which I totally don't understand since pretty much all of the dresses from risque to matronly were in that section. The only other section was the plus size section. Hmm.
Here's another bit of advice: choose your nursing location wisely (if possible, scope it out before you need it). I thought I had it all figured out when I saw the comfy couches outside of the main reception area. They were kind of tucked away in a corner and I figured that would be the perfect place for a feeding or two. I got all settled, popped out the boob, and started nursing Silas. I wasn't too exposed, as I was using my nursing cover in the half-assed manner to which I've become accustomed (he hates the damn thing so I can't drape it all the way over everything). It's all good, right? Eh, not so much. The main reception hall is all glass doors and windows looking out to the lobby and my spot was in the direct line of site of anyone waiting for food at the carving station. D'oh! Fortunately, I managed to finish up just as dinner was beginning. Those poor people would have gotten an eyeful, especially when I had to put myself back together!
The hemline isn't much different - just a couple inches. And, you can always throw a cardigan on with the second dress and it will still be cute but more reserved. (although I don't think it needs to be more reserved, I really like it and wish I were skinny enough to wear it)
so...is the first dress from ann taylor?
MARIE: The first dress was a "Jessica Howard" dress from Macy's. I tried to find the pic on their website, but they didn't have it online. Dillard's did, though. You should totally get it! It would look AMAZING on you! =)
I think you did just the right thing. The best dresser knows what works for them regardless of the size/department. The dress is very pretty :) Surely Stacy and Clinton would approve!
I like both dresses but I think your pick will look so sexy on you (show off that womanly body!) I wish I could wear something like that.
I wish I had to figure for that second dress. Envy envy. But I have to wear bras built by civil engineers. Yes, having big tatas is so very sexy, not.
Post a Comment
<< Home