Endeth the Reign of Hell-Cat
No one has ever liked my cat, Adah, except me. Jake pretends to, but I know she gets on his nerves. She's fat, smelly (since she isn't all that flexible when it comes to bathing) and has a loud, insistent meow. However, she also is a wonderful cuddler and likes to lay on my chest and make little imaginary biscuits with her paws. She purrs so loudly during our cuddle time, and I know she's especially happy when she drools down my neck. She loves to roll in the dirt outside and then bring the bits of leaves and driveway dust inside with her. She gets ferocious with the dogs, and takes no nonsense from my boy-cat. She is a tough, bitchy girl, but I have always loved her.
She chose to live with us during a scary autumn thunderstorm 10 years ago. Jake and I, and our boy-cat, were sitting inside our apartment when we heard a loud meow outside, even above the noise of the thunder. When I opened the door and saw her sitting there (a smaller near-clone of boy-cat), I hardly had time to say, "Oh! There's a cat!" before she came racing inside. She didn't hesitate or freak out---just zoomed in and headed straight for boy-cat's food bowl. Poor boy-cat was stunned, looking at me like I should be doing something to thwart her, but I was too busy laughing at her bravery and nerve. She decided that day that she was going to live with us, and she has been a part of our family ever since. Our next-door neighbor at the time disliked her so much that he nicknamed her, Hell-Cat---a name that I always thought was more than a bit overly dramatic and a little unfair. She earned the name because she would often be all rubby and purry with strangers until they tried to pet her, and then she would attack in hopes of snapping off a bit of finger. But, again, despite her bad reputation, I continued to insist to Jake that she was just eccentric, and secretly loved her all the more for being so cantankerous.
I noticed a few weeks ago that she was losing weight. I felt a hard dread about it, and postponed calling the vet. I pretended lots of things---it was good she was losing weight. At 19 pounds, the vet had been after me to trim her down for years. As she continued to lose weight, I became less able to make excuses and knew, without any veterinary confirmation, that something awful was happening to her. She seemed normal in every other way, though---still bitchy, still giving the dogs hell, still wanting to go outside and play. These things made it easier to ignore her shrinking size and hope that maybe she just had a bug, or some other fleeting illness. Suddenly in the past week, though, she stopped eating and drastically lost weight. With dread in my heart, I took her to the vet today and learned that she has a softball-sized abdominal tumor. We are spending tonight with her, and then letting her go tomorrow.
It's strange to be losing so many lives that I love this year. It almost feels like nothing will be left by the time Snippet is old enough to love along with us.


She chose to live with us during a scary autumn thunderstorm 10 years ago. Jake and I, and our boy-cat, were sitting inside our apartment when we heard a loud meow outside, even above the noise of the thunder. When I opened the door and saw her sitting there (a smaller near-clone of boy-cat), I hardly had time to say, "Oh! There's a cat!" before she came racing inside. She didn't hesitate or freak out---just zoomed in and headed straight for boy-cat's food bowl. Poor boy-cat was stunned, looking at me like I should be doing something to thwart her, but I was too busy laughing at her bravery and nerve. She decided that day that she was going to live with us, and she has been a part of our family ever since. Our next-door neighbor at the time disliked her so much that he nicknamed her, Hell-Cat---a name that I always thought was more than a bit overly dramatic and a little unfair. She earned the name because she would often be all rubby and purry with strangers until they tried to pet her, and then she would attack in hopes of snapping off a bit of finger. But, again, despite her bad reputation, I continued to insist to Jake that she was just eccentric, and secretly loved her all the more for being so cantankerous.
I noticed a few weeks ago that she was losing weight. I felt a hard dread about it, and postponed calling the vet. I pretended lots of things---it was good she was losing weight. At 19 pounds, the vet had been after me to trim her down for years. As she continued to lose weight, I became less able to make excuses and knew, without any veterinary confirmation, that something awful was happening to her. She seemed normal in every other way, though---still bitchy, still giving the dogs hell, still wanting to go outside and play. These things made it easier to ignore her shrinking size and hope that maybe she just had a bug, or some other fleeting illness. Suddenly in the past week, though, she stopped eating and drastically lost weight. With dread in my heart, I took her to the vet today and learned that she has a softball-sized abdominal tumor. We are spending tonight with her, and then letting her go tomorrow.
It's strange to be losing so many lives that I love this year. It almost feels like nothing will be left by the time Snippet is old enough to love along with us.



13 Comments:
What a rough year for you guys and your loved ones! I'm sorry about your kitty. *hugs*
I can hardly believe it was 10 years ago. I will miss her sagging hamsters dragging along the floor and her sudden, unprovoked mood swings. I remember her sleeping with me on the pull-out and then becoming irritable, growling as she waddled away.
*hugs*
I'm so sorry about your kitty. It sounds like she found a truly loving home with you.
oh Deanna,
I love my animals so fiercely this brings tears to my eyes knowing how hard a decision it is when it comes.
Love to you my friend -- I'm so sorry.
XO
Pam
Deanna! Im so pleased to find your blog again and to read of the safe delivery of snippet! I have also found out Karen's good news and Im so thrilled for you all. I have often thought of you all and wondered.
Cassandra, aka gothmummy
Oh sweetie, I am so sorry. You really need a break from this loss. Thinking of you and your precious kitty.
CASSANDRA: Hi, there! It's wonderful to see you again. Are you blogging or elsewhere online?
I am so sorry you are being hit with another loss. Poor kitty! I'm thinking of you all
Oh De, I'm so sorry. I can't believe you're losing another pet so quickly. There's nothing like the unconditional love of a pet... I'm sure she'll be greatly missed.
I'm sorry I've missed so much in the last several weeks. And I am so sorry about your kitty. I have a 14 yr old boy cat who has been a curmudgen since birth, and I love that asshole to distraction, so I know how you feel. I am just so, so sorry.
I'm so sorry! Adah was never mean to me :) I will think of her whenever I watch the video of Evie and Snippet meeting because she's meowing in the background. I'm glad that Adah got to spend her last 10 years with you, specifically...the one human who really loved her. That is no small thing for a cat. (((Hugs)))
I'm so sorry! You guys have had a rough go of it, haven't you. Letting go of our furbabies is so hard. Thinking of you.
Oh Deanna...I'm so sorry. What a shitty year. You guys deserve a break. I'm hoping things get better. *hugs*
XO
Post a Comment
<< Home