Crush
Jake has a crush.
Though he's 34 years old, he has morphed before my eyes into a junior high kid purely smitten.
You know how when you're a teenager in love, you can't talk about anything else except the object of your affection? You find the most obscure ways to draw conversation back around to this or that insignificant thing your crush did or said, and everyone around you becomes hopelessly annoyed?
Jake has been struck with the crushbug, and it's ALL about Snippet. Wherever we go, whoever we run into----friends or complete strangers, Jake finds some way to bring the baby into conversation. It's utterly adorable. He does this when I'm around, or when he's at work---with co-workers, with clients, with anyone who happens to mention anything at all related to pregnancies or babies. His whole face changes when he announces, "Yeah, actually, my wife is pregnant. We're expecting our first!" He gets that same goofy grin that teenagers get when they announce their first girlfriend or boyfriend at the family barbecue. When the listener congratulates him, his face has, "Aw, shucks" beaming from every pore as he says, "Well, thank you. We're really excited."
I'm surprised by his behavior because he's not usually one to air personal details so freely. He's normally more reserved around strangers, but with the Snippet news, it's like he just can't contain his joy. It seeps from him at any possibly relevant moment. It's doing wonders for my worried mind---his happiness is just that contagious.
Another unexpected affirmation arrived this week, while I was scanning through the new baby registry Jake and I set up at Babies R Us. Every few days I think of some other little thing we forgot, and as I was adding the latest whatever-item, I noticed that someone had already purchased our diaper bag for us. I was initially stunned, because only a handful of people know that we're registered. But, I was further amazed at the confidence of the buyer. Someone who cares for us fully believes that all will be well, enough to put down some money on that bet. Each uneventful day that passes has me thinking they won't have any need to keep the receipt.
Though he's 34 years old, he has morphed before my eyes into a junior high kid purely smitten.
You know how when you're a teenager in love, you can't talk about anything else except the object of your affection? You find the most obscure ways to draw conversation back around to this or that insignificant thing your crush did or said, and everyone around you becomes hopelessly annoyed?
Jake has been struck with the crushbug, and it's ALL about Snippet. Wherever we go, whoever we run into----friends or complete strangers, Jake finds some way to bring the baby into conversation. It's utterly adorable. He does this when I'm around, or when he's at work---with co-workers, with clients, with anyone who happens to mention anything at all related to pregnancies or babies. His whole face changes when he announces, "Yeah, actually, my wife is pregnant. We're expecting our first!" He gets that same goofy grin that teenagers get when they announce their first girlfriend or boyfriend at the family barbecue. When the listener congratulates him, his face has, "Aw, shucks" beaming from every pore as he says, "Well, thank you. We're really excited."
I'm surprised by his behavior because he's not usually one to air personal details so freely. He's normally more reserved around strangers, but with the Snippet news, it's like he just can't contain his joy. It seeps from him at any possibly relevant moment. It's doing wonders for my worried mind---his happiness is just that contagious.
Another unexpected affirmation arrived this week, while I was scanning through the new baby registry Jake and I set up at Babies R Us. Every few days I think of some other little thing we forgot, and as I was adding the latest whatever-item, I noticed that someone had already purchased our diaper bag for us. I was initially stunned, because only a handful of people know that we're registered. But, I was further amazed at the confidence of the buyer. Someone who cares for us fully believes that all will be well, enough to put down some money on that bet. Each uneventful day that passes has me thinking they won't have any need to keep the receipt.

8 Comments:
So cute!
Will he stop smoking for his crush (or has he already)?
Aww that's sweet!
So wonderful :)
Okay, seriously. We are married to the same man. When I was pregnant, my husband's coworkers complained that all he talked about was The Baby. It didn't change much after The Baby was born, now he just talks incessantly about My Son. It's cute.
It is absolutely lovely. And Paul was the same, and is still the same. Everything, always, is about the baby. It is melting, to see a "manly guy" so enamoured of a peanut. I am thrilled for you that he is so gushing. He should be, and it adds to your joy, which is great.
And it's great about the diaper bag, and how that makes you feel. You are progressing. And it's such an interesting feeling to think that the other shoe never really has to drop, isn't it? Just wait until the baby is born - surreal. And sublime. You continue to make my days :) (and I still owe you that box of clothes - we have to find it first!!)
Awwww, dammit, happy proud Dads make me cry. *sniff* That's so lovely.
Go, diaper-bag-buying person!
His giddiness about Snippet does not surprise me at ALL! He's been looking forward to this moment for a long time. I can totally picture him now, making little baby noises and that big smile :)
Isn't registering fun!?! I was completely overwhelmed by all the choices. Luckily Jeremy was there to guide us through it. Now I kinda feel bad about all the baby registries I ignored and bought whatever I wanted. Oh well..:)
*Sniff*
Miss X
Post a Comment
<< Home