Toddler Nursing Strike, Day Six
Snippet has never been on an official nursing strike before, for which I have always felt so lucky. When he was around 8 months old, he skipped a few sessions during a bad teething spell, but he never went an entire day.....let alone six days.
The mayhem started last Friday, when the teething pain from his lower left canine was reaching full summit. He nearly stopped eating for several days, and abruptly stopped nursing. When he would try to latch on, he would suddenly jump away from me like I had poked him with a live wire. After a day of this, he started having really dramatic reactions to my offers, squirming and pushing at me with both hands, and once almost hitting the floor in his attempt to wrestle off my lap. I keep offering at our usual times, and he steadily refuses. The past few days, he has taken to quietly and resolutely pursing his lips together and just stares off over my arm. He won't even make eye contact.
I try to act nonchalant in response to his rejections, saying a happy, carefree, "Okay! Next time, then." La Leche League advises me to contain my feelings of sorrow and loss, to pretend as though his rejections mean nothing at all, as though he has politely declined, much as a customer would toward a waiter offering the evening's specials: "No, thank you, ma'am, I'm just not in the mood for filet, prepared in any sort of way."
I always took Snippet's hatred of whole milk in stride since he was still nursing regularly, but after a few days of the strike, I started to panic about the loss of all those good fats. In desperation, I bought a big container of Ovaltine and mixed it halfsies with pumped breastmilk and whole milk. Snippet's first sip brokered a grimace and a tossing of the sippy cup. Each day since, though, he has become a little more tolerant, drinking 3 ounces this morning. I am hopeful that even that little bit will help supplement him through this phase.
And, Yes, I hope with all my heart that this is just a phase---a terrible, brief phase. Just last week, I would call to him from the sofa, "Do you want milkies?" and he would happily come toddling over with a big smile, clutching his nursing blankie. He would continue to nurse, long after my dwindling milk supply had emptied out. I always, always had to unlatch him before he would detach himself. How could this same child, literally overnight, reject this activity that he once so loved?
I am pumping milk on our normal schedule, hoping to keep things just as they were, should he decide to return to nursing. It gives me some consolation to provide breast milk for him in a sippy, and makes the hideous routine of pumping feel practical and full of purpose (rather than a desperate bit of denial.) I have read online that strikes can last from a few days to 4-6 weeks. Each story I read detailing a 30-day strike ending in a happily reunited mother and child pair keeps me hopeful that our story will end just as sweetly. But, for each of those stories, I read ten that tell of abrupt endings, never repaired. I want him to return to nursing, even if he decides to self-wean just a few weeks later. I want him to leave nursing happily, not painfully. It's not that I want to nurse him forever---I just don't want it to end like this.
The mayhem started last Friday, when the teething pain from his lower left canine was reaching full summit. He nearly stopped eating for several days, and abruptly stopped nursing. When he would try to latch on, he would suddenly jump away from me like I had poked him with a live wire. After a day of this, he started having really dramatic reactions to my offers, squirming and pushing at me with both hands, and once almost hitting the floor in his attempt to wrestle off my lap. I keep offering at our usual times, and he steadily refuses. The past few days, he has taken to quietly and resolutely pursing his lips together and just stares off over my arm. He won't even make eye contact.
I try to act nonchalant in response to his rejections, saying a happy, carefree, "Okay! Next time, then." La Leche League advises me to contain my feelings of sorrow and loss, to pretend as though his rejections mean nothing at all, as though he has politely declined, much as a customer would toward a waiter offering the evening's specials: "No, thank you, ma'am, I'm just not in the mood for filet, prepared in any sort of way."
I always took Snippet's hatred of whole milk in stride since he was still nursing regularly, but after a few days of the strike, I started to panic about the loss of all those good fats. In desperation, I bought a big container of Ovaltine and mixed it halfsies with pumped breastmilk and whole milk. Snippet's first sip brokered a grimace and a tossing of the sippy cup. Each day since, though, he has become a little more tolerant, drinking 3 ounces this morning. I am hopeful that even that little bit will help supplement him through this phase.
And, Yes, I hope with all my heart that this is just a phase---a terrible, brief phase. Just last week, I would call to him from the sofa, "Do you want milkies?" and he would happily come toddling over with a big smile, clutching his nursing blankie. He would continue to nurse, long after my dwindling milk supply had emptied out. I always, always had to unlatch him before he would detach himself. How could this same child, literally overnight, reject this activity that he once so loved?
I am pumping milk on our normal schedule, hoping to keep things just as they were, should he decide to return to nursing. It gives me some consolation to provide breast milk for him in a sippy, and makes the hideous routine of pumping feel practical and full of purpose (rather than a desperate bit of denial.) I have read online that strikes can last from a few days to 4-6 weeks. Each story I read detailing a 30-day strike ending in a happily reunited mother and child pair keeps me hopeful that our story will end just as sweetly. But, for each of those stories, I read ten that tell of abrupt endings, never repaired. I want him to return to nursing, even if he decides to self-wean just a few weeks later. I want him to leave nursing happily, not painfully. It's not that I want to nurse him forever---I just don't want it to end like this.

5 Comments:
Oh Deanna.
I can just imagine the heartbreak. I love nursing -- I love the bond so much -- and we've only been doing it four months -- and I worry about the what-ifs of milk supply and this and that -- and everyone around me thinks its nuts that I want to do extended breastfeeding -- with supplements of some solids of course -- but I value it to that degree - -both for health reasons of course -- but for those ineffable reasons too.
I know you might wish for a longer bf relationship -- but if it is indeed child-led weaning then I think you have to congratulate yourself for what a wonderful wonderful job you've been doing so far and how committed you are to continue pumping as well..
I wish I had advice!
Nope, just love,
XO
Pam
Wow, I'm so sorry! I don't have any breastfeeding wisdom, obviously, but I will say that Evie is similar in that she over-reacts to teething and weaned herself from bottles to straw cups while cutting her top front teeth at 10 months old. It was a similar experience...she just refused the bottle suddenly and we ended up in the ER with her because it freaked us out so much. But obviously if I'd been nursing I wouldn't have just given up with her at 10 months old, so I think you are right to push on and hope he'll come out of the strike. Do you see him coming to you for comfort in new ways?
Wow, I have heard of nursing strikes but I've never had one with my kids. I'm sorry this is causing you some grief. I hope it gets resolved soon.
I am so sorry you are having trouble!!I had to kind of abruptly end nursing my 18 month old recently and it was Sad! I hope it works out just think how great you have made it this far! I just wanted to point out that Ovaltine has some nasty ingredients (sweeteners and artificial colors!) I think giving him goat milk would be great it is the closest thing to BM and you can add black strap molasses for Iron and adding flax seed would add additional fats!
I felt the same way about my eldest daughter. She really did not want breast milk even though I put her face on my breast. She really did not like it I really don't know. Then I have to buy milk in can. She wants it on her bottle. With my two children next to her. I had no problem on breastfeeding.
Early Pregnancy Symptoms
Post a Comment
<< Home